Linuus

Linuus

I’ve just upgraded a Phoenix app to 1.3 and Elixir 1.5.2. Now I get an exception on staging but not locally. I’ve traced it down (after getting some help from @michalmuskala on Slack) to when Poison encodes dates.

I use Poison 3.1, and this is the error I get:

** (Poison.EncodeError) unable to encode value: {0, 6}

    (poison) lib/poison/encoder.ex:383: Poison.Encoder.Any.encode/2

    (poison) lib/poison/encoder.ex:227: anonymous fn/4 in Poison.Encoder.Map.encode/3

    (poison) lib/poison/encoder.ex:228: Poison.Encoder.Map."-encode/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3

    (poison) lib/poison/encoder.ex:228: Poison.Encoder.Map.encode/3

    (poison) lib/poison/encoder.ex:227: anonymous fn/4 in Poison.Encoder.Map.encode/3

    (poison) lib/poison/encoder.ex:228: Poison.Encoder.Map."-encode/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3

    (poison) lib/poison/encoder.ex:228: Poison.Encoder.Map.encode/3

I only return Maps from my render functions (not using @derive in model/schema).

The Map that fails to encode looks like this:

%{id: 216, images: [%{aspect_ratio: 1.33333, id: 194, urls: %{original: "https://example.com/foo.jpg?v=63674938035", small: "https://example.com/foo.jpg?v=63674938035", thumb: "https://example.com/foo.jpg?v=63674938035"}}], inserted_at: ~N[2017-10-11 10:46:53.000000], tag_list: ["foo", "bar", "baz", "qux"], text: "Some text", thread: %{address: "Address 1", area: 100, district: nil, id: 127, interest_count: 4, internal_id: "23852", location: %{lat: 57.7456204, long: 11.9868868}, lot_size: nil, price: 2500000, property_type: %{id: 3, name: "FooBar"}, realtor: %{avatar_url: "https://example.com/avatar.jpg?v=63674969635", email: "foobar@example.com", first_name: "Foo", id: 78, last_name: "Bar", realtor: true}, rooms: #Decimal<4.0>, status: 2, title: "Some title", user_interest_level: 0, web_url: "https://example.com/threads/127"}, thread_id: 127, updated_at: ~N[2017-10-11 10:46:53.000000]}

And from what I can find it’s the NaiveDateTime that breaks.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

Linuus

Linuus OP

For now I convert the NaiveDateTime myself with NaiveDateTime.to_iso8601(post.updated_at) etc.

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

I suspect it might be a precision issue. If you are using Postgres it can have different settings for precision of timestamps, i.e. how many digits are after dot separating seconds from miliseconds etc. Check out the settings in your Postgres and see documentation here: PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.1: Date/Time Types

I supect that maybe on your staging environment, you have high precision configured for timestamps. The default can be changed in Postgres’s config file. And that somehow Poison can’t understand such high precision. It’s a guess, I’ll leave it up to you to investigate.

Linuus

Linuus OP

Thank you, that sounds plausible! Will check when I’m back at work.

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

Don’t forget to update us here. If this is the case, it’s most likely a bug somewhere either in Elixir or Ecto or Poison that needs to be fixed. This should not happen.

Linuus

Linuus OP

Definitely :+1:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews