njwest

njwest

Hiya, we’re designing PostgreSQL schemas for an app that has Users, and the user has Things of different types as well as Affinities for those Things, through a dynamic many-to-many table:

users_things_and_affinities table:

user_id
thing_type
thing_id
affinity_id

The idea is to have various many-to-many relationships between users and different tables within a certain category through this table (as an efficiency for a different feature of the app).

Things can refer to various different tables (e.g. tools, locations, buildings, etc)

Example record:

user_id = 1, thing_type = buildings, thing_id = 5, affinity_id = 4

Is there an efficient way to make dynamic foreign keys such as this using Ecto, or are we better off with a table with nullable Thing columns such as:

user_id
affinity_id
building_id
tool_id
location_id
person_id
activity_id

where a possible record could be:

user_id = 1
affinity_id = 4
building_id = null
tool_id = 10
book_id = null
person_id = null
activity_id = null

We’re opting to go with a dynamic many-to-many table such as this one rather than creating a bunch of different user_x_and_affinity many-to-many tables so we don’t have to do lots of joins/subqueries when calculating this user data altogether, but I am very open to other viewpoints :stuck_out_tongue:

Showing Posts 1 to 1

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

You could use an additional intermediate table as a “handle” to the many kinds of things:

user_things_and_affinities:
user_id
thing_id
affinity_id

things:
type
building_id
tool_id
location_id
person_id
activity_id
etc

This way, for M users and N things there are only N rows with mostly NULL instead of O(M*N).

You could also copy some data to the things table from each kind of record - for instance, a “display name” so that UI code doesn’t need to load the associated record just for a name.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews