amnu3387

amnu3387

Hi, I’ve written a pooler using gen_statem, similar to poolboy but with a few differences, more control on how it can be configured (default workers, max workers (similar to overflow in poolboy) and waiting queue lenght), some more control on checking out the worker (immediate overload response, only timeout, unbound, not swallowing timeouts).

I’ve ran some tests with it and poolboy and the results are promising. What I’m wondering is if there’s any other more efficient poolers out there? Perhaps nif based? I’m asking because if not I would like to rewrite it in erlang (it’s mostly compatible with only some keyword lists for initialisation and naming which can be swapped for something else) and publish it publicly (and because poolboy is used in some public elixir libs if it was a better option it would be, well, better?).

They have slightly different semantics on how they control, the things but running poolboy with no “block”, and an :infinity timeout, against the unbound waiting queue, and 5_000 timeout, both with 100 workers, not overflow, results in this:

Interactive Elixir (1.9.0) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> Queuer.Pool.test_queuer()
:ok
Total ok: 40000 - Total failed: 0
time: 1.13
iex(2)> Queuer.Pool.test_poolboy()
:ok
Total ok: 40000 - Total failed: 0
time: 41.639

The results are consistent across all range of workloads, workers, etc.

The tests are basically:

@total_reqs 20000
  
  def test_queuer(max \\ @total_reqs)  do
    pid = Process.whereis(__MODULE__)
    time = :erlang.system_time(:millisecond)
    receiver = spawn(__MODULE__, :keep_track, [time, 0, 0])
    feed_test_queuer(pid, receiver, 0, max)
    feed_test_queuer(pid, receiver, 0, max)
  end

  def feed_test_queuer(pid, receiver, count, max) when count < max do
    spawn(fn() ->
      case __MODULE__.checkout(pid, 5000, false) do
        {:ok, w_pid} ->
          :ok = GenServer.call(w_pid, :test)
          send(receiver, :ok)
          __MODULE__.checkin(pid, w_pid)
        error ->
          send(receiver, :failed)
          :error
      end
    end)
    feed_test_queuer(pid, receiver, count + 1, max)
  end

  def feed_test_queuer(_, _, _, _), do: :ok

  def test_poolboy(max \\ @total_reqs) do
    pid = Process.whereis(:worker)
    time = :erlang.system_time(:millisecond)
    receiver = spawn(__MODULE__, :keep_track, [time, 0, 0])
    feed_test_poolboy(pid, receiver, 0, max)
    feed_test_poolboy(pid, receiver, 0, max)
  end

  def feed_test_poolboy(pid, receiver, count, max) when count < max do
    spawn(fn() ->
      case :poolboy.checkout(pid, true, :infinity) do
        :full ->
          send(receiver, :failed)
          :error
        w_pid ->
          :ok = GenServer.call(w_pid, :test)
          send(receiver, :ok)
          :poolboy.checkin(pid, w_pid)
      end
    end)
    feed_test_poolboy(pid, receiver, count + 1, max)
  end

  def feed_test_poolboy(_, _, _, _), do: :ok
 
   def keep_track(time, c, f) when (c + f) == @total_reqs do
    time_now = :erlang.system_time(:millisecond)
    IO.puts("Total ok: #{c} - Total failed: #{f}")
    IO.inspect(((time_now - time) / 1000), label: "time")
  end
  
  def keep_track(time, count, failed) do
    receive do
      :ok -> keep_track(time, count + 1, failed)
      :failed -> keep_track(time, count, failed + 1)
    after
      10_000 ->
        :ok
    end
  end

In short, checkout a worker, call it for :ok, send a message to the “tracker”.
The worker module is:

defmodule WorkerTest do
  use GenServer

   def start_link do
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, nil, [])
  end
  
  def start_link(_) do
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, nil, [])
  end

  def init(_) do
    {:ok, nil}
  end

  def handle_call(:test, _from, state) do
    {:reply, :ok, state}
  end
end

(it has two start_links, because my queuer is passing 0 args to it)
Can you see something wrong with the way I’m testing both implementations?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

hauleth

hauleth

Have you read @ferd’s article about handling overload?

amnu3387

amnu3387 OP

I think so, but the unbound queue here is just to simulate the behaviour of poolboy, the error/overflow control is more fine grained than in poolboy, where checking out the worker is always a max timeout no matter if it’s overloaded or not, and always makes the call (and can only know if it’s overloaded after the call returns or timeouts). In this queuer you can bail out immediately on overload, only bail out after X, bail out after X OR overload, and/or have a 0 max waiting queue, an unbound queue or a finite queue.

[edit] - the timeout is not hardcoded in poolboy duh

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews