helicon

helicon

Hello!
For example i have an schema Photo.

{
  "filename": "photo123.jpg",
  "content_type": "image/jpeg",
  "versions": {
     "original": {...},
     "thumbnail": {...}
     "facebook_version": {...}, 
     # ...
     # and some more versions
     # ...
  }
}

And there is a list of versions that should be present, but some other versions are optional.

After i took a look at this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPmHP9ZPOWc, i see 2 cases to define data structure:

  1. Schema-less data (Map → JSON → Map)

    • Set versions field to :map type in Ecto and that will be interpreted as JSONB in Postgres;
    • Implement nested versions data validations on Photo changeset level.
  2. Embedded schema (Schema → JSON → schema)

    • define embedded Versions schema with full list of versions
    • all data validations functions are invoking at Versions changeset level

Objective
I am developing API application. And there is what i need from my data structure:

  • secure and trusted data saving
  • Convenient and understandable structure for querying and sending to frontend client

The second way looks more secure. But embedded schema it’s not dynamic data. I don’t want to store empty version fields in my DB, if some optional versions are absent(actually I do not know if this is a good idea). As i understood, the dynamic fields can’t be in Ecto embedded schema. Am i wrong?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews