jerry

jerry

Hello,

Is there a way I can access PostgreSQL sequence nextval from Elixir Ecto query?

I would be very grateful for your response.

Thanks.

Jerry

Showing Posts 1 to 5

gcauchon

gcauchon

If you need an escape hatch, Ecto provides fragments (see Ecto.Query.API.fragment/1 ) to inject SQL (and non-SQL) fragments into queries.

jerry

jerry OP

Hello @gcauchon,

Thanks for your response.

Regards,

Jerry

slashmili

slashmili

In case someone came across this question, a concrete solution is using fragment but it should be in from

import Ecto.Query
MyApp.Repo.one(
    from seq in fragment("SELECT nextval('slugs_id_seq') as id"), select: seq.id
)
arcanemachine

arcanemachine

I was messing around with this recently, and I was having difficulty getting the next available sequence ID without incrementing the sequence in situations where there may or not be any rows in the table (e.g. during testing).

I came up with this, so I’m adding it to the pile in case it may be useful as well.

defmodule YourProject.Repo.YourSchemaIdSeqs.YourSchemaIdSeq do
  @moduledoc "The Postgres sequence used to generate YourSchema IDs."

  use Ecto.Schema
  alias YourProject.Repo
  import Ecto.Query

  @primary_key false
  schema "your_schema_id_seq" do
    field :last_value, :integer
  end

  @doc "Return the next value in the sequence."
  def get_next_available_id do
    if Repo.exists?(SomeSchema),
      do: Repo.one!(from ysis in __MODULE__, select: ysis.last_value) + 1,
      else: Repo.one!(from ysis in __MODULE__, select: ysis.last_value)
  end
end

This was the product of me messing around, and there may be a simpler way, but it worked for me at the time.

slashmili

slashmili

Interesting approach @arcanemachine !

A word of caution about retrieving the last value - there’s an important concurrency consideration to keep in mind. The get_next_available_id approach can lead to multiple processes request an ID simultaneously and get the same ID.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews