chensan

chensan

I have a User schema with a :from_id field set to type :string:

defmodule TweetBot.Repo.Migrations.CreateUsers do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def change do
    create table(:users) do
      add :from_id, :string
      add :access_token, :string

      timestamps()
    end

    create unique_index(:users, [:from_id])
  end
end

Later I want to change type of :from_id to :integer,

defmodule TweetBot.Repo.Migrations.AlterUsers do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def change do
    alter table(:users) do
      modify(:from_id, :integer)
    end
  end
end

But I got this error running mix ecto.migrate:

** (Postgrex.Error) ERROR 42804 (datatype_mismatch): column “from_id” cannot be cast automatically to type integer

I just thought it might because I have data in database, so I drop the whole database, and run mix ecto.migrate again, the error still shows.

I also search the ecto repo on github, no simillar issue there. Seems there’s an answer on stackoverflow https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13170570/change-type-of-varchar-field-to-integer-cannot-be-cast-automatically-to-type-i for Rails, but how can I do it in ecto?

Thanks if anyone can help.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

fmcgeough

fmcgeough

Yeah. That’s a Postgresql restriction. You’ll have to execute SQL to convert it.

alter table users alter column from_id type integer using (from_id::integer);

if you use psql and attempt to do the SQL directly it actually provides a hint on this:

HINT: You might need to specify “USING from_id::integer”.

so:

defmodule TweetBot.Repo.Migrations.AlterUsers do
  use Ecto.Migration

   def up do
      execute """
        alter table users alter column from_id type integer using (from_id::integer)
       """
   end

   def down do
      execute """
        alter table users alter column from_id type character varying(255);
       """
   end
end
16
Post #1
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

@fmcgeough execute/2 exists that takes both an up and down argument so you don’t need to split them. :slight_smile:

fmcgeough

fmcgeough

Oooo thanks! I wasn’t aware of that!

chensan

chensan OP

@OvermindDL1 @fmcgeough Thank you both for your help :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews