user974881

user974881

Hello, I am trying to do a postgrex query with the sql library where I get the first entry from a table sorted by last_visited and excluding all entries where url is in state.lock or host is in state.politeness.

{query, params} = ~SQL[from pages]
      |> ~SQL[where url not in #{state.lock}]
      |> ~SQL[where host not in #{state.politeness}]
      |> ~SQL"select url"
      |> to_sql()

    {:ok, %Postgrex.Result{rows: [[response]]}} = Postgrex.query(:postgrex, query, params)

However, when I run this I get:

** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, %Postgrex.Error{message: nil, postgres: %{code: :syntax_error, file: "scan.l", line: "1244", message: "syntax error at or near \"$0\"", pg_code: "42601", position: "40", routine: "scanner_yyerror", severity: "ERROR", unknown: "ERROR"}, connection_id: 7202, query: "select url from pages where url not in $0 where host not in $0"}}

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Can you print the SQL it generates ?

christhekeele

christhekeele

It looks like the query it generates is hidden in the provided error message:

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Whoops!

Right so @user974881 you can’t use SQL in with parameters like that. Instead do:

not host = any?(#{state.lock})
ruslandoga

ruslandoga

:waving_hand:

Double where might also be a problem.

Schultzer

Schultzer

Hey there, as I said in the other thread Pattern match postgex result - (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: %Postgrex.Result - #14 by Schultzer this I would need a bit more time to fix, it’s not on you.

I haven’t impl. double where in the sense that it would be accumulating ands. And I would say it’s an open question of how that should work.

I appreciate you’re taking the library for a ride, it gives me a clear picture of what your expectations are and where I need to improve.

Although I’m currently prioritizing a rewrite of the parser, since the first iteration has been handwritten and does not even parse DDL.

user974881

user974881 OP

Well, I tried this:

{query, params} = ~SQL[from pages]
      |> ~SQL[where not url = any?(#{state.lock}) and not host = any?(#{state.politeness})]
      |> ~SQL"select url"
      |> to_sql()

    {:ok, %Postgrex.Result{rows: [[response]]}} = Postgrex.query(:postgrex, query, params)

so that I only have one where and also for your solution, and now I get:

** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, %Postgrex.Error{message: nil, postgres: %{code: :undefined_parameter, file: "parse_param.c", line: "140", message: "there is no parameter $0", pg_code: "42P02", position: "44", routine: "variable_paramref_hook", severity: "ERROR", unknown: "ERROR"}, connection_id: 4546, query: "select url from pages where not url = any ($0) and not host = any ($0)"}}
Schultzer

Schultzer

If you are on main you might be able to get away with this: sql/test/string_test.exs at 35d743c7715da9336269dfd7ea8426f4d2fa7ec6 · elixir-dbvisor/sql · GitHub

But your example might be an edge case that I haven’t gotten to yet.

user974881

user974881 OP

now I get

** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, %Postgrex.Error{message: nil, postgres: %{code: :syntax_error, file: "scan.l", line: "1244", message: "syntax error at or near \"$0\"", pg_code: "42601", position: "40", routine: "scanner_yyerror", severity: "ERROR", unknown: "ERROR"}, connection_id: 5621, query: "select url from pages where url not in $0 and host not in $1"}}

with

{query, params} = ~SQL[from pages]
      |> ~SQL[where url not in #{state.lock} and host not in #{state.politeness}]
      |> ~SQL"select url"
      |> to_sql()

    {:ok, %Postgrex.Result{rows: [[response]]}} = Postgrex.query(:postgrex, query, params)
benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

You added a space that shouldn’t be there after any.

Taking a step back, are you sure this is the right library for you? The sql library seems aimed at people familiar with SQL and who prefer to use that syntax instead of the ecto query syntax. It doesn’t seem like this is syntax you’re super comfortable with though and the process of using ecto would be a lot simpler for what you’re doing.

user974881

user974881 OP

I’m not using any, I’m using in(which then is converted to any by sql), and in the code I used before I do not see the extra space.

And I do think it is better I use sql as the problem is more with elixir than with SQL.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews