realcorvus

realcorvus

Hi everyone, I’m very excited to announce the release of Potion Shop, an intentionally vulnerable Elixir/Phoenix application, for teaching developers about web application security.

https://github.com/securityelixir/potion_shop


:warning: Warning :warning:

Do not deploy this application in your production environment. Attackers can exploit Potion Shop to gain access to the underlying server, then use this access to further compromise your network.


How to Learn Web Security with Potion Shop

Potion Shop can be used by developers of all security skill levels. From beginners interested in what these cryptic acronyms mean, to experienced security professionals looking to test their skills.

If you are a complete beginner, get the project running locally and read tutorial.md for a description of each vulnerability, how to understand the impact, and hints on how to discover it in Potion Shop.

If you have some experience with web security, start with self_guided.md. It provides a concise list of exercises, one for each vulnerability.

If you are looking for a realistic challenge, do not read either document. Test the application as you normally would, and see if you can uncover each security problem.

A full writeup on each issue will be published later in answers.md. For the best learning experience, do not read this until after you have worked through Potion Shop yourself.

Pull Requests Welcome

If there is a security topic you would like to see included in future updates, please open an issue or submit a PR on Github.

The current roadmap includes additional vulnerabilities, and a branch showing how to fix each issue.

Learn More

I will be teaching a fully remote training on April 18, 2023 for ElixirConf EU, Phoenix Application Security. Potion Shop will be used in the training, with the benefit of an interactive format where students can ask questions and experience more guided learning.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Awesome. I’ll check it out for sure.

ChrisYammine

ChrisYammine

Heh like the OWASP Juice Shop example application. Love it - thank you for this. I’m eager to explore this soon

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews