mbski

mbski

Hi, for learning purposes I create API using Elixir/Phoenix. I’ve created whole custom authentication and after that I do the same using POW with custom controllers (just to learn how it works under the hood and have my boilerplates for next projects).

I stopped for a while doing custom controllers for Forgot password and reset password functions.

I read a lot of topics on forum but still i can’t pass through reset and update new password.

My function to forgot_password looks like that:

  @spec forgot_password(Conn.t(), map()) :: Conn.t()
  def forgot_password(conn, %{"user" => user_params}) do
    conn
    |> PowResetPassword.Plug.create_reset_token(user_params)
    |> case do
      {:ok, %{token: token, user: _user}, conn} ->
        #send email
        conn
        |> put_status(200)
        |> json(%{data: %{status: 200, message: "Email has been sent", token: token}})

      {:error, _changeset, conn} ->
        conn
        |> put_status(200)
        |> json(%{data: %{status: 200, message: "Email has been sent"}})
    end
  end

Its pretty straighforward. Always giving status 200 for security purposes, and token for passing it in POSTMAN during resetting password. I know that it should never go to production like that and Pow token is stored in cache. If You have some advices how to use Postman for authorization without passing tokens by hand in body I’d appreciate that (similar I have shown access tokens and renewal for register/login controllers)

For reset_password I wrote that function:

def reset_password(conn, %{"id" => token, "user" => user_params}) do

    with {:ok, conn} <- PowResetPassword.Plug.load_user_by_token(conn, token),
         {:ok, _user, conn}  <- PowResetPassword.Plug.update_user_password(conn, user_params) do
          conn
          |> put_status(:ok)
          |> json(%{status: "Password changed"})
    else
          {:error, changeset} ->
            {:error, changeset, conn}

          _ ->
            conn
            |> json(%{error: %{message: "Expired Token"}})
    end
end

The problem is like I found in docs and while testing, that update_user_password never returns an error when password and confirmation are not equal in this case (but in plug.ex its written that in should return {:error, changeset, conn}.
It returns “Password changed” and “Expired token”. Even if I put different passwords in body. Of course it doesnt change password then but I want to have two different errors if user makes mistake during writing password.

I found also on forum that function

  @spec reset_password(Conn.t(), map()) :: Conn.t()
  def reset_password(conn, %{"id" => token, "user" => user_params}) do
   conn
   |> PowResetPassword.Plug.load_user_by_token(token)
   |> case do
      {:ok, conn} ->
        PowResetPassword.Plug.update_user_password(conn, user_params)

      {:error, conn} ->
        json(conn, %{error: %{message: "Expired Token"}})
    end

  json(conn, %{status: "ok"})
  #end

It returns “ok” even if i put different password in body, but thankfully doesnt change it in DB. Expired token appears when loading user by token fails.

What comes to my mind is to put function for check password inputs if they are equal before updating password but I dont think if it is the best solution. Either nesting case statements looks awful.

Thanks for helping :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 3

mbski

mbski OP

I read again docs and refactored a little function. Now it looks awful but works, I need to think prettier solution.

  @spec reset_password(Conn.t(), map()) :: Conn.t()
  def reset_password(conn, %{"id" => token, "user" => user_params}) do

    conn
      |> PowResetPassword.Plug.load_user_by_token(token)
      |> case do
          {:ok, conn} ->
            PowResetPassword.Plug.update_user_password(conn, user_params)
            |> case do
              {:error, _changeset, conn} ->
                json(conn, %{message: "Invalid passwords"})

              {:ok, _user, conn} ->
                json(conn, %{message: "Password changed"})
            end

          {:error, conn} ->
            json(conn, %{error: %{message: "Expired Token"}})
        end        
  end

OR

  @spec reset_password(Conn.t(), map()) :: Conn.t()
  def reset_password(conn, %{"id" => token, "user" => user_params}) do

    with {:ok, conn} <- PowResetPassword.Plug.load_user_by_token(conn, token),
         {:ok, _user, conn}  <- PowResetPassword.Plug.update_user_password(conn, user_params) do
          conn
          |> put_status(:ok)
          |> json(%{status: "Password changed"})
    else
          {:error, _changeset, conn} ->
            json(conn, %{error: %{message: "Passwords are not the same"}})

          _ ->
            json(conn, %{error: %{message: "Expired Token"}})
    end
  end

I mark as solution if it works well while testing but I’m still waiting for some advices about tokens cause I am elixir newbie :slight_smile:

Nozynxte

Nozynxte

Yeah, I totally get it - I’ve run into that same issue where password errors don’t show when they do not match

Nozynxte

Nozynxte

What worked for me was adding a quick check with a password tester right before calling update_user_password. This way, I could make sure the new password actually meets all the requirements (and matches the confirmation) before even trying to update anything in the database.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews