thojanssens1

thojanssens1

Say I have the following schemas:

defmodule Articles do
  schema "articles" do
    field(:name, :string)
    embeds_one(:foo, Foo)
  end

  def changeset(struct, attrs) do
    struct
    |> cast(attrs, [:name])
    |> cast_embed(:foo)
  end
end
defmodule Foo do
  @primary_key false

  embedded_schema do
    field(:name, :string)
    belongs_to(:country, Country)
  end

  def changeset(struct, attrs) do
    struct
    |> cast(attrs, [:name])
    |> cast_assoc(:country)
  end
end
defmodule Country do
  schema "countries" do
    field :name, :string
  end
end

If I try to run the code below, I’ll have the error:

** (RuntimeError) attempting to cast or change association country from Foo that was not loaded. Please preload your associations before manipulating them thr
ough changesets

attrs = %{
  name: "An article",
  foo: %{
    country: %{name: "Fiji"}
  }
}

%Article{}
|> Article.changeset(attrs)
|> Repo.insert!()

If I try to preload:

%Article{}
|> Repo.preload([foo: :country])

I’ll have the error:

** (ArgumentError) schema Article does not have association :foo

Showing Posts 1 to 5

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You cannot have associations in embeds, as this is not something databases support.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

That’s interesting. The fact still stands though in that it’s not a foreign key association, which is what one usually understands here.

However given this now exists. Are you on ecto 3.5?

thojanssens1

thojanssens1 OP

Yes Ecto 3.5. Maybe I did something obviously wrong, Ecto is quite complex. But now I’m really stuck with these errors.

BradS2S

BradS2S

Great news! Associations work inside of embeds. You have a small typo.

:country should be :countries. :slight_smile:

I compiled it and it ran fine.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews