rapidfsub

rapidfsub

* `:prepare_params` - A 2-argument function that receives the params map and the :validate atom and should return prepared params. Called before the form is validated.
* `:transform_params` - A function for post-processing the form parameters before they are used for changeset validation/submission. Use a 3-argument function to pattern match on the [`AshPhoenix.Form`](https://hexdocs.pm/ash_phoenix/AshPhoenix.Form.html) struct. 

prepare_params is called before the "form validation, and transform_params is called before "changeset validation.
But I don’t get what’s different between “form validation” and “changeset validation”.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

prepare_params happens just before we handle nested forms, and gets called w/ all top level params, so is the simplest place to modify params.

transform_params is a bit more complex as it allows distinguishing between “is this a nested form” and pattern matching on the form struct who’s params you are modifying.

When in doubt, use prepare_params as a simple callback to modify the params the user submitted before handled by the form.

rapidfsub

rapidfsub OP

When is transform_params called with nested form struct?
Could you provide me a simple example of how to use transform_params?

rapidfsub

rapidfsub OP

And in ash framework book, I found transform_params is used more.
What’s the reason, even if the prepare_params is simpler?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

I was wrong :smiley: transform_params is the preferred approach. Misremembered my own implementation. We’ll update the docs. @sevenseacat reminded me of that.

Sorry for misleading you earlier! Neither one is called for nested forms automatically.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews