xgeek116

xgeek116

Hello,

Elixir version = 1.13.1
Phoenix version = 1.6.6

I created a REST API in Elixir/Phoenix and everything works fine with the PostgreSQL database (hosted in Google Cloud SQL), but I have some issues when configuring the deployment env, I was following this tutorial : https://shyr.io/blog/deploy-phoenix-google-app-engine

But in my project structure I didn’t find the file config/prod.secret.exs, so I created one and compiled and now I’m having error about missing : DATABASE_URL variable

In the config/dev.exs file I was configuring the database like this :

config :test_api, TestApi.Repo,
  socket_dir: "/cloudsql/CONNEXTION_NAME_CLOUD_SQL",
  username: "testUser",
  password: "testPassword",
  database: "testDB",
  pool_size: 10

But in config/runtime.exs the format required is :
For example: ecto://USER:PASS@HOST/DATABASE

How can I inject the socket dir (cloudsql) inside ?

Best regards

Showing Posts 1 to 4

xgeek116

xgeek116 OP

Hello,

I tried to set the DATABASE_URL env variable like :
DATABASE_URL: “ecto://user:password@/database?host=/cloudsql/DATABASE_CONNECTION_NAME”

But I get the following error :

    ** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
        ** (Ecto.InvalidURLError) invalid url ecto://user:password@/database?host=/cloudsql/DATABASE_CONNECTION_NAME, host is not present. The parsed URL is: %URI{authority: "user:password@", fragment: nil, host: nil, path: "/database", port: nil, query: "host=/cloudsql/DATABASE_CONNECTION_NAME", scheme: "ecto", userinfo: "user:password"}
benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

This is the format that is provided by default in runtime.exs, but this is not required. You can pass all of the same options that are passed to config/dev.exs, you probably just want to substitute the username and password options with System.get_env calls.

mstibbard

mstibbard

I trust you’ve solved this issue by now (or given up!!).

For anyone else that finds this, I’ve written up the complete steps to deploy to Google Cloud Run + Cloud SQL here: https://www.stibbard.io/elixir-phoenix-deploy-google-cloud-run-and-cloud-sql

The answer to your specific question:

  • What was previously contained in config/prod.secret.exs was moved into config/runtime.exs
  • The default Ecto connection in a fresh mix phx.new project_name is in the form of ecto://USER:PASS@HOST/DATABASE however Cloud SQL expects a socket connection, not a domain (e.g., HOST) so you need to update your config/runtime.exs. Refer to Ecto.Adapters.Postgres — Ecto SQL v3.14.0 – the one you want is :socket. An example updated config could be like below, which includes moving the values into environment variables/secrets.
# do this for each secret. e.g., socket, db, user, pass
database_password =
  System.get_env("DATABASE_PASSWORD") ||
    raise """
    environment variable DATABASE_PASSWORD is missing.
    """

config :insight, Insight.Repo,
  socket: database_socket,
  database: database_name,
  username: database_user,
  password: database_password,
  pool_size: String.to_integer(System.get_env("POOL_SIZE") || "10"),
  socket_options: maybe_ipv6
  • In your deployment you will need to populate those environment variables. In my writeup I did this in Google Secrets Manager
  • You will also need to sort IAM permissions to allow your server to talk to Cloud SQL, and this will vary depending on what service you deployed your app to AND what Service Account you used. In my writeup I created a new Service Account, and we deployed to Google Cloud Run
mstibbard

mstibbard

I can’t update my post above but there’s an even easier way – using postgres environment variables (e.g., PGHOST, PGUSER, etc) which is what :postgrex defaults to when your code does not specify database connection details. I’ve updated my write-up accordingly: https://www.stibbard.io/elixir-phoenix-deploy-google-cloud-run-and-cloud-sql

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews