krisleech

krisleech

On a regular basis I’m seeing errors reported to Sentry such as GenServer #PID<0.106725.0> terminating

The “crash reason” reported in Sentry is {{%RuntimeError{message: "cannot fetch records from Kafka (topic=spaces partition=0 offset=520536). Reason: :not_leader_for_partition"}.

We filter our the above RuntimeError (see code below) so it’s not reported to Sentry, since it’s transient and resolves itself.

But we still end up with the GenServer error being reported.

It actually doesn’t look like an exception, so I’m not sure how we can filter it out.

Our working filtering code looks like this:

defmodule Shared.Infrastructure.Errors.EventFilter do
  @behaviour Sentry.EventFilter
  require Logger

   @spec exclude_exception?(Exception.t(), atom()) :: boolean()
  def exclude_exception?(exception, source) do
    (kafka_not_leader_for_partition_error?(exception) ||
       kafka_cannot_fetch_records?(exception) ||
       kafka_cannot_resolve_offset?(exception) ||
       invalid_path_error?(exception) ||
       malformed_request_error?(exception) ||
       no_route_error?(exception) ||
       invalid_query_error?(exception))
    |> tap(&maybe_log(exception, source, &1))
  end

  defp kafka_not_leader_for_partition_error?(exception) do
    exception_type?(exception, RuntimeError) &&
      message_includes?(exception, [
        "cannot fetch records from Kafka",
        "Reason: :not_leader_for_partition"
      ])
  end

  # <SNIP>

  defp maybe_log(exception, source, excluded) do
    if excluded do
      Logger.info(
        "Sentry exception excluded from being reported (source: #{inspect(source)}): #{inspect(exception)}"
      )
    end
  end
end

Any suggestions or pointers welcome…

Showing Posts 1 to 3

martosaur

martosaur

is this your genserver crashing or is it part of some library?

krisleech

krisleech OP

I think it’s a GenServer in Broadway given the “crash reason” (I don’t know where crash reason comes from, but it looks like it’s the exception which causes the GenServer (process) to terminate.

martosaur

martosaur

Ah okay then, this probably means you don’t have control over the process to not make it crash over a somewhat expected error. In this case you probably want to filter this error from all logs, not just Sentry. Adding a primary logger filter might be the solution!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews