xgeek116
I’m testing a function that call another function to fetch external data using API calls, here is the main module code :
defmodule MyApp.MyModule.ExternalData do
require Logger
def fetch_external_data(params) do
with {:ok, data} <-
http_get_resource(params["url"], params["headers"]) do
data
else
:error ->
Logger.info("ERROR executing API call to : #{source} with path : #{url} ")
%{}
end
end
def http_get_resource(url, headers) do
case HTTPoison.get(url, headers) do
{:ok, %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: 200, body: body}} ->
{:ok, Poison.decode!(body)}
{:ok, %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: 404}} ->
:error
{:error, %HTTPoison.Error{reason: _reason}} ->
:error
end
end
end
And here is my test file :
defmodule MyApp.MyModule.ExternalData.Test do
use ExUnit.Case
# Replace `http_get_resource/2` with a mock function to simulate the HTTP request
def mock_http_get_resource(url, headers) do
case url do
# Simulate a successful request with a 200 status code
"http://valid.com/resource" -> {:ok, %{status_code: 200, body: %{key1: "value1", key2: "value2"}}}
# Simulate a failed request with a 404 status code
"http://invalid.com/resource" -> {:ok, %{status_code: 404, body: "Resource not found"}}
# Simulate a request that times out
"http://timeout.com/resource" -> {:error, :timeout}
end
end
def http_get_resource(url, headers) do
mock_http_get_resource(url, headers)
end
test "fetch_one_external_resource/1" do
# Replace the actual `http_get_resource/2` function with the mock function
alias MyApp.MyModule.ExternalData, as: M
M.http_get_resource = &http_get_resource/2
# Test a successful request
params = %{
"url": "aaa",
"headers": "bbb"
}
assert M.fetch_one_external_resource(params) == %{new_key1: "value1", new_key2: "value2"}
# Test a failed request
params = %{
"url": "aaa",
"headers": "bbb"
}
assert M.fetch_one_external_resource(params) == :error
# Test a request that times out
params = %{
"url": "aaa",
"headers": "bbb"
}
assert M.fetch_one_external_resource(params) == :error
end
end
I’m getting this error :
== Compilation error in file test/fetch_data_test.exs ==
** (CompileError) test/fetch_data_test.exs:26: cannot invoke remote function MyApp.MyModule.ExternalData.http_get_resource/0 inside a match
test/fetch_data_test:23: (module)
(elixir 1.14.2) lib/kernel/parallel_compiler.ex:455: Kernel.ParallelCompiler.require_file/2
(elixir 1.14.2) lib/kernel/parallel_compiler.ex:348: anonymous fn/5 in Kernel.ParallelCompiler.spawn_workers/7
Any ideas or fix please, I think the problem is in the line M.http_get_resource = &http_get_resource/2
thanks
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
al2o3cr
That’s not how Elixir modules work, you can’t “reassign” functions in them at runtime.
Consider using one of the mocking libraries like
moxormeckthat does this correctly.Alternatively, consider refactoring
fetch_external_datainto separate functions that can be tested without a live HTTP call.xgeek116
Hi @al2o3cr , thank you.
Please see my problem with Mox : Mox is ignoring my Mocked module and calling the real function