dersar00

dersar00

Hello, I have a record structure that contains Geo.Point coordinates field(geo_postgis).
Thats I receive from db when I’m using serializer.

%{
    coordinates: %Geo.Point{
      coordinates: {48.51572187715065, 48.51572187715065},
      properties: %{},
      srid: 4326
    },
    id: 10,
    name: "default name"
  }

When I’m try to send them to my client through websocket, I got error that says

** (Poison.EncodeError) unable to encode value: {48.442894571035936, 48.442894571035936}

My serializer

defmodule ScenesSerializer do

  use Remodel

  attributes [:name, :id, :coordinates]
end

Showing Posts 1 to 1

massimo

massimo

Seems quite right.

Poison (or any other Json encoder for that matter) doesn’t support tuples, because they don’t exists in Json.

One way to solve the problem is to convert the tuple to a list

{48.51572187715065, 48.51572187715065} |> Tuple.to_list() |> Poison.encode
{:ok, "[48.51572187715065,48.51572187715065]"}

In your specific case, Geo supports encoding Points to a Json compatible format.
You have to use Geo.JSON.encode(point)

From their Github page

#Examples using Poison as the JSON parser

iex(1)> Geo.JSON.encode(point)
{:ok, %{ "type" => "Point", "coordinates" => [100.0, 0.0] }}

iex(2)> point = Poison.decode!("{ \"type\": \"Point\", \"coordinates\": [100.0, 0.0] }") |> Geo.JSON.decode
%Geo.Point{ coordinates: {100.0, 0.0}, srid: nil }

iex(3)> Geo.JSON.encode!(point) |> Poison.encode!
"{\"type\":\"Point\",\"coordinates\":[100.0,0.0]}"
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews