magap
Hi, I have big problem with install elixir.
I installed it, but when I want check version ‘elixir -v’, I receive communicate: ‘elixir 1.5.0 not installed’.
But when I put: ‘sudo apt-get install elixir’, I receive communicate:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
elixir is already the newest version (1.1.0~0.20150708-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
So seems like I have elixir… But I haven’t.
Where can be a problem?
I use Ubuntu 16.
Thanks for any tips.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
aseigo
Not sure exactly what has ended up on your system, but the package manager is installing v1.1.0 of Elixir. Which is 2.5 years old, which is ~1/3rd of the age of Elixir itself
A much more convenient way to get Erlang and Elixir imho is to use asdf …
Benefits being that you can have multiple versions installed, and it hardly matters which version of your OS you are using.
kokolegorille
To complete @aseigo response, You can also specify -otp when installing elixir with asdf.
UPDATE: it should be -otp-20 as mentionned by @sztosz
aseigo
Perhaps that depends on the system you are on? I don’t have such an option available here with asdf v 0.4.2 on Linux …
sztosz
Oh, I think the correct syntax is
asdf install elixir 1.6.1-otp-20it works with asdf 0.4.1 installed from git.magap
Thanks @aseigo, it works now!
aseigo
Yep, that works