Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

I’m trying to set up a remote shell connection to an externally running node.
This node runs a release made using Distillery.
Rather than SSH-ing to the node and running /app/location/bin/appname remote_console, I want to run IEx locally, so that I can e.g. use :observer
However, running locally iex --name qqwy@Mycomputername --cookie mysecretcookie --remsh appname@12.34.56.78 returns the following unhelpful stack trace:

(Note: Since this is a live server with important data, I have replaced the real names, cookies and IP-address with placeholder ones.)

2017-10-08 16:21:20 crash_report        
    initial_call: {supervisor_bridge,user_sup,['Argument__1']}
    pid: <0.54.0>
    registered_name: []
    error_info: {exit,{badarg,[{ets,lookup,[elixir_config,identifier_tokenizer],[]},{elixir_config,get,1,[{file,"src/elixir_config.erl"},{line,22}]},{'Elixir.Macro',classify_identifier,1,[{file,"lib/macro.ex"},{line,134}]},{'Elixir.Inspect.Atom',inspect,1,[{file,"lib/inspect.ex"},{line,79}]},{'Elixir.Inspect.Atom',inspect,2,[{file,"lib/inspect.ex"},{line,65}]},{'Elixir.Kernel',inspect,2,[{file,"lib/kernel.ex"},{line,1698}]},{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',tty_args,0,[{file,"lib/iex/cli.ex"},{line,84}]},{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',start,0,[{file,"lib/iex/cli.ex"},{line,54}]}]},[{gen_server,init_it,6,[{file,"gen_server.erl"},{line,352}]},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,[{file,"proc_lib.erl"},{line,247}]}]}
    ancestors: [kernel_sup,<0.34.0>]
    messages: [{'EXIT',#Port<0.677>,normal}]
    links: [<0.35.0>]
    dictionary: []
    trap_exit: true
    status: running
    heap_size: 987
    stack_size: 27
    reductions: 465
2017-10-08 16:21:20 supervisor_report   
    supervisor: {local,kernel_sup}
    errorContext: start_error
    reason: {badarg,[{ets,lookup,[elixir_config,identifier_tokenizer],[]},{elixir_config,get,1,[{file,"src/elixir_config.erl"},{line,22}]},{'Elixir.Macro',classify_identifier,1,[{file,"lib/macro.ex"},{line,134}]},{'Elixir.Inspect.Atom',inspect,1,[{file,"lib/inspect.ex"},{line,79}]},{'Elixir.Inspect.Atom',inspect,2,[{file,"lib/inspect.ex"},{line,65}]},{'Elixir.Kernel',inspect,2,[{file,"lib/kernel.ex"},{line,1698}]},{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',tty_args,0,[{file,"lib/iex/cli.ex"},{line,84}]},{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',start,0,[{file,"lib/iex/cli.ex"},{line,54}]}]}
    offender: [{pid,undefined},{id,user},{mfargs,{user_sup,start,[]}},{restart_type,temporary},{shutdown,2000},{child_type,supervisor}]
2017-10-08 16:21:20 crash_report        
    initial_call: {application_master,init,['Argument__1','Argument__2','Argument__3','Argument__4']}
    pid: <0.33.0>
    registered_name: []
    error_info: {exit,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,user,{badarg,[{ets,lookup,[elixir_config,identifier_tokenizer],[]},{elixir_config,get,1,[{file,"src/elixir_config.erl"},{line,22}]},{'Elixir.Macro',classify_identifier,1,[{file,"lib/macro.ex"},{line,134}]},{'Elixir.Inspect.Atom',inspect,1,[{file,"lib/inspect.ex"},{line,79}]},{'Elixir.Inspect.Atom',inspect,2,[{file,"lib/inspect.ex"},{line,65}]},{'Elixir.Kernel',inspect,2,[{file,"lib/kernel.ex"},{line,1698}]},{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',tty_args,0,[{file,"lib/iex/cli.ex"},{line,84}]},{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',start,0,[{file,"lib/iex/cli.ex"},{line,54}]}]}}},{kernel,start,[normal,[]]}},[{application_master,init,4,[{file,"application_master.erl"},{line,134}]},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,[{file,"proc_lib.erl"},{line,247}]}]}
    ancestors: [<0.32.0>]
    messages: [{'EXIT',<0.34.0>,normal}]
    links: [<0.32.0>,<0.31.0>]
    dictionary: []
    trap_exit: true
    status: running
    heap_size: 987
    stack_size: 27
    reductions: 191
2017-10-08 16:21:20 std_info            
    application: kernel
    exited: {{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,user,{badarg,[{ets,lookup,[elixir_config,identifier_tokenizer],[]},{elixir_config,get,1,[{file,"src/elixir_config.erl"},{line,22}]},{'Elixir.Macro',classify_identifier,1,[{file,"lib/macro.ex"},{line,134}]},{'Elixir.Inspect.Atom',inspect,1,[{file,"lib/inspect.ex"},{line,79}]},{'Elixir.Inspect.Atom',inspect,2,[{file,"lib/inspect.ex"},{line,65}]},{'Elixir.Kernel',inspect,2,[{file,"lib/kernel.ex"},{line,1698}]},{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',tty_args,0,[{file,"lib/iex/cli.ex"},{line,84}]},{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',start,0,[{file,"lib/iex/cli.ex"},{line,54}]}]}}},{kernel,start,[normal,[]]}}
    type: permanent
{"Kernel pid terminated",application_controller,"{application_start_failure,kernel,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,user,{badarg,[{ets,lookup,[elixir_config,identifier_tokenizer],[]},{elixir_config,get,1,[{file,\"src/elixir_config.erl\"},{line,22}]},{'Elixir.Macro',classify_identifier,1,[{file,\"lib/macro.ex\"},{line,134}]},{'Elixir.Inspect.Atom',inspect,1,[{file,\"lib/inspect.ex\"},{line,79}]},{'Elixir.Inspect.Atom',inspect,2,[{file,\"lib/inspect.ex\"},{line,65}]},{'Elixir.Kernel',inspect,2,[{file,\"lib/kernel.ex\"},{line,1698}]},{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',tty_args,0,[{file,\"lib/iex/cli.ex\"},{line,84}]},{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',start,0,[{file,\"lib/iex/cli.ex\"},{line,54}]}]}}},{kernel,start,[normal,[]]}}}"}
Kernel pid terminated (application_controller) ({application_start_failure,kernel,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,user,{badarg,[{ets,lookup,[elixir_config,identifier_tokenizer],[]},{elixir_config,ge

Crash dump is being written to: erl_crash.dump...done

The cookie in my command matches the one set in the settings, and running /someplace/appname/bin/appname describe shows indeed this cookie, as well as the name appname@127.0.0.1.

What is going on?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

alisinabh

alisinabh

Is your release and client running on same erts version?

Qqwy

Qqwy OP

TypeCheck Core Team

Yes, the release was made locally, on the computer that runs the client and then moved to the server.

mischov

mischov

@Qqwy Did you ever figure this out?

Qqwy

Qqwy OP

TypeCheck Core Team

No, I did not. In the end, I wrote a script that SSH’d to the remote location and inside SSH started a local ‘remote’ shell.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews