Problems regarding LiveView test

Hi all!

I am trying to write a test for a liveview. Within this liveview, the user is supposed to be able to select shifts from a calendar and be redirected to a normal view where he/she can print the shifts, after having clicked a print button.

I started to write the following test:

test "Redirects to a view where all selected shifts can be printed, after user has clicked the print button",
  %{conn: conn, token: token, shift: shift} do

{:ok, view, _html} = conn |> live(Routes.live_path(conn, ShiftApplicationLive, token))

params = [shift_ids: [shift.id]]

redirect_path = Routes.shift_path(conn, :print_shifts, token, params)

render_click(view, :select_shift, %{"shift-id" => shift.id})

assert_redirect(view, ^redirect_path, fn ->
    assert render_click(view, :print_shifts)
  end)
end

However, I always got the error:

No message matching {^ref, {:redirect, ^topic, %{to: ^redirect_path}}} after 100ms.
[... truncated error ...]
code: assert_redirect(view, ^redirect_path, fn ->
     stacktrace:
       lib/shift_application_web/live/shift_application_live_test.exs:289: (test)

The problems seems to be with this part of my test:

assert_redirect(view, ^redirect_path, fn ->
    assert render_click(view, :print_shifts)
  end)

When I execute the render_click(view, :print_shifts), I got the following data back:

{:error,
 {:redirect,
  %{
    to: "/shift-application/contract/tlOSOpL2E_5a7yrxr4NeWgdOJbG5mz2WcuD7ClCBvdeBw1iKHcfv0Gb20b51rKBYAAAAAF4h6rd7ImF1ZnRyYWdzbnVtbWVyIjoiNTAwMDAifQ%253D%253D/print_shifts?schift_ids[]=8eec-4547-a3c8-7a6174051021"
  }}}
  • Is it normal that the renders_click method returns an :error?

• Why is there different level of encodings? The URL encoded by redirect_path = Routes.shift_path(conn, :print_shifts, token, params) is encoded one time, while the URL returned by the renders_click is encoded two times; so if I try to compare them, they’ll always be different, unless I decode them with URI.decode().

Without looking at the code being tested is hard to know the problem, but I still could say a few things to check:

test "redirected mount", %{conn: conn} do
  assert {:error, %{redirect: %{to: "/somewhere"}}} = live(conn, "my-path")
end

You may notice it matches the error you’re getting in another point of the test.

• Based on the last part of your description (redirected to a normal view where he/she can print the shifts, after having clicked a print button), it is expected that the render_click helper, which is for live view components, is no longer useful when testing a button from another part of the application.

It would require to do some extra work to keep testing the whole flow. Maybe this discussion has some insight

2 Likes

Thanks jmbejar.

Yes, after looking at the LiveView source code, it seems that it is the default behavior.

I’ll take a look at the other post you have linked.