fklement

fklement

Hello, I’m currently struggling with the following problem:

"(1609089402.655258) vcan0 136#000200000000002A\n(1609089402.655456) vcan0 13A#0000000000000028\n(1609089402.655651) vcan0 13F#000000050000002E\n(1609089402.655838) vcan0 164#0000C01AA8000004\n(1609089402.656030) vcan0 17C#0000000010000021\n(1609089402.656223) vcan0 18E#00006B\n(1609089402.656410) vcan0 1CF#80050000003C\n(1609089402.656763) vcan0 1DC#02000039\n(1609089402.656997) vcan0 183#0000000900001020\n(1609089402.657268) vcan0 143#6B6B00E0\n"
** (ArgumentError) non-alphabet digit found: "\n" (byte 10)
    (elixir 1.11.2) lib/base.ex:878: Base.dec16_upper/1
    (elixir 1.11.2) lib/base.ex:892: Base."-do_decode16/2-lbc$^0/2-2-"/2
    (elixir 1.11.2) lib/base.ex:890: Base.do_decode16/2
    (cannes 0.0.1) lib/dumper.ex:56: Cannes.Dumper.format_candump_string/1
    (elixir 1.11.2) lib/stream.ex:441: anonymous fn/4 in Stream.each/2
    (elixir 1.11.2) lib/stream.ex:1540: Stream.do_unfold/4
    (elixir 1.11.2) lib/stream.ex:1609: Enumerable.Stream.do_each/4
    (elixir 1.11.2) lib/enum.ex:3461: Enum.into/4

Maybe some background first. I want to process the output of candump in elixir. I’m using the porcelain library to spawn a process to execute the candump command. So far everything works fine, but I get the above error when the timestamps are very, very close to each other. If they differ in the 4th last digit, everything works fine. But when the difference is only in the 3rd last digit, the problem occurs.

My Cannes.Dumper.format_candump_string/1 function assumes one line of the console output e.g. like:
(1609089347.177315) vcan0 164#0000C01AA8000022
Now, if the messages follow each other too closely, the function will receive more than one line and therefore fail. Somehow the Stream.each gets more then a single console line. It forwards e.g.:
"(1609090018.715053) vcan0 18E#00007A\n(1609090018.715409) vcan0 294#040B0002CF5A000E\n(1609090018.715701) vcan0 21E#03E83745220601\n"

A pretty dumb and hacky way that came up in my mind is to simply reject all elements in the stream where more than one \n occurs. I already implemented it and it works, but this way I’m missing all those messages.

I’m not very familiar with using streams in elixir. So maybe there is a pretty simple solution that I’m just not aware of. Also I would like to know why Streams behave like this.
Can anyone help me with this?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

ouven

ouven

Hi, without knowing much about your use case, for me it sounds like you could use flat_map to split multi lines into several messages and reinject each into the stream.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

If you have a stream of values that sometimes have more than one \n-delimited value, you can transform them to a stream that has them one at a time:

a = ["1\n", "2\n3\n", "4\n"]

iex(4)> Stream.flat_map(a, &String.split(&1, "\n", trim: true)) |> Enum.to_list()
["1", "2", "3", "4"]
fklement

fklement OP

Perfect. So simple :heart_eyes:
Thanks for your post.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews