RooSoft

RooSoft

Hi!

Trying to efficiently parse a 111MB JSON gRPC response that is bound to exponentially grow over time for a while. Expecting it to hit gigabytes mid-long term… talking about the Lightning Network graph straight from a local node. Here’s what it looks like visually…

Currently using this lib: {:grpc, github: "elixir-grpc/grpc"}

As these lines are being written, it seems there’s no way to access that data until it’s been completely parsed and downloaded in RAM. Not sure about that solution’s scalability…

If possible at all, I’d decode the JSON as it is being streamed from the server. That would make this process even possible on the smallest computer such as a raspberry pi, which is super popular hardware used by node operators.

Thanks for any insight on how to achieve this!

Marc

Showing Posts 1 to 3

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Just today I found myself wondering the same. There’s Jaxon but I am not sure I can invest the time to rewrite certain code in the projects I work on. Replacing a simple Jason.decode with who knows how many lines that partially ingest a JSON stream can bring about metric tons of complexity.

Maybe a better question for you would be: is there a way to consume the API in a one-JSON-record-per-line fashion?

RooSoft

RooSoft OP

I have no control over how the server sends data… it’s sending it in one enormous blob…

The problem also is about reading the data while it’s getting in… not even sure it’s possible with the current grpc lib.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Shame the service doesn’t offer alternatives. :frowning:

Forking the library is always an option though. If you get desperate, go for that. In my case, I have to parse no more than 20-30 MB for the moment and the API server is slow – sometimes takes 15-20 seconds to deliver data, but our app isn’t real time for 99% of the data so it’s okay.

Hope you can find a solution.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews