chitalepushkar
I am using the Sage library to perform a set of operations involving DB inserts and calling external APIs. The Sage.transaction uses Ecto.Repo.transaction to wrap all actions performed on each step (similar to Ecto.Multi)
One of the step uses Task.Supervisor.async_nolink/5 to spawn a supervised process which inserts an Oban job. Something like:
defmodule SageModule do
@supervisor MyApp.Supervisor
def sage_function(_) do
Sage.new()
|> Sage.run(:do_something, &insert_background_job/2)
|> Sage.transaction(MyApp.Repo)
end
defp insert_background_job(attrs, _) do
task = Task.Supervisor.async_nolink(@supervisor, fn ->
%{attrs: attrs}
|> MyApp.NotifyExternalAPIWorker.new()
|> Oban.insert()
case Task.yield(task) || Task.shutdown(task) do
{:ok, _result} ->
:ok
error ->
# Log something
end
end
end
The code runs fine and executes the Oban job. But while testing I am unable to assert that the job was enqueued.
test "enqueues background job to notify external API" do
assert _ = SageModule.sage_function(params)
# Assertion fails with the following error
# Expected a job matching:
# %{worker: MyApp.NotifyExternalAPIWorker}
# to be enqueued in the "oban" schema. Instead found:
# []
assert_enqueued worker: MyApp.NotifyExternalAPIWorker
end
If I try to inspect the task output from the Task.yield(task) || Task.shutdown(task) case statement, I get the following error
{:exit,
{%DBConnection.ConnectionError{
message: "could not checkout the connection owned by #PID...
Is there a way I can checkout the connection for the Task.Supervisor process? I have tried using the shared mode as well but no luck.
:ok = Sandbox.checkout(MyApp.Repo)
Sandbox.mode(MyApp.Repo, {:shared, self()})
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Oban Threads
Latest on Elixir Forum
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
sorentwo
Running the sandbox in shared mode should allow the task process to access the connection. Are you sure you need to wrap inserting the Oban job in a task at all? Maybe try without the task and verify that it’s working?
chitalepushkar
Adding the Oban insert in the task is required since I dont want it to rollback in case of a transaction rollback.
Basically the example I mentioned is slightly different than my actual implementation. In my actual implementation, the
insert_background_jobstep only gets called when any step within the Sage.transaction fails. So the actual implementation looks something likeIn the corrected example, the Sage transaction rolls back in case any of the step fails. So in this case, if
:some_other_step_that_might_cause_rollbackfails, everyting will be rolled back and additionally any compensation functions associated to a step will be executed. In this case it is theinsert_background_job/3. More info on Sage compensation functions can be found here.I had tried inserting the Oban job directly without wrapping it inside a task but unfortunately the transaction rollback causes it to rollback as well. Also for some reason the shared mode does not ensure the connection is granted to the task.