swelham
I’m putting together a CI script on gitlab for a small app that I have built and I have hit a stumbling block when it comes to creating a release.
The issue is, there isn’t a prod.secret.exs file in my git repo as expected, however I cannot create a release without it as nothing will work. Also mix release throws an error if it cannot find this file so building a release with this file missing doesn’t work either.
I wondered what do others do to work around this? I am currently going down the path of environment variables in production that the prod.exs file will pull in.
Does anyone know of a better way?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
Some CI Services allow to inject “hidden” files or environment variables.
So if possible let the service inject that file, if not create it from an environment variable in some of your steps.
In any case you should make sure, that no-one attacks your buildserver by injectiong a
catorechoin the scripts if they are version controlled.swelham
As far as I am aware the service I am using only supports secret variables, so I think I will actually try creating the file as part of the build - could create a mix task that does this and pull values from the environment.
A good heads up on the concern over
catandechoNobbZ
Of course these concerns are true for anything that creates output!
For CI tool we use internally at work I can see that it expands shell variables and then prints the command. So it happens that I have
echo $SECRETin the script butecho deadbeefin the logs… No problem for us, since everyone in the company does know that secret anyway and it is substituted here for something elseDuring CI there could be a compilation error in the generated prod.secret.exs and then a message printed like “there was an error near
deadbeef”.And probably other situations I am not ware of right now.