Programmer Passport (Grox.io) (PragProg)

Grox.io looks really nice and I love that they’re doing a Joe Armstrong tribute :heart:

Bruce Tate (@redrapids) has put together a team to form Grox.io and they have partnered with The Pragmatic Bookshelf to offer a subscription based online learning outfit. You get to cover 6 languages a year (so you go through one language every two months) and each course consists of:

• An ebook (produced and edited by PragProg - so expect their usual high standard)
  • Videos
  • Exercises

The first three being covered in 2020 (Prolog, Elixir and OTP) are a celebration and tribute to the legacy of Joe Armstrong - the language that inspired him and the technology inspired by him.

Join us on a journey to explore six programming languages per year. Each language unit in this subscription contains proprietary chapters written by Bruce Tate and edited by The Pragmatic Bookshelf, instructional videos (some including interviews with language creators and/or core teams), projects, and other curated resources to help you practice the language. Knowing multiple languages will make you a better programmer, a better problem solver, and more marketable. Plus, it’s fun!

Programmer Passport is:

• A subscription based model
  • Introducing new programming languages
  • On a two month cadence
  • Providing proprietary books, videos and projects
  • And other curated resources for learning a language

Languages covered or confirmed so far:

1. Crystal
  2. Pony
  3. Prolog 1/15/2020
  4. Elixir 3/16/2020
  5. OTP 5/15/2020
  6. Tbc

How it works:

Sample video:

Cost

$15 per month or $150/year

Further details

Check out their website here: grox.io

6 Likes

This is the first time we’ll have the first section available for free. I hope some of you can join us for the whole Prolog section. The video tells a bit about my encounter with Joe around Prolog. Give it a look. https://youtu.be/y-lup-J-TBc

If it looks interesting, come join us tomorrow (and for the next six months) while we do our Joe Armstrong tribute.

3 Likes

Thank you for the details here, I had some hard time to figure out exactly what is/will be provided…
It’s very interesting and promising.

2 Likes

Very kind, thank you. In my career, I have always progressed much more quickly when I was learning languages. Two of my mentors, Dave Thomas and Joe Armstrong, have both said similar things.

2 Likes

Just a suggestion… I think that it might grab more interest of you publish on the website some kind of schedule and planing (as posted above by @AstonJ)

Good suggestion. We initially thought it would be more interesting for developers to work through the exercises together. Hindsight based on our early market research.

We’re going to be announcing a reshaping of the pricing model and website soon.

Thanks for your feedback.

3 Likes

I am enjoying this book quite a bit! This is an excellent introduction for beginners because Bruce has an excellent way of building a foundation. Where can we report typos and such?
Thx.

2 Likes

My little and warmest thoughts about the programmer passport at Grox.io.

At the moment I only almost finish reading the elixir book and I continue to study the other contents in our access to consume.

The first chapter talks about it how to use mix, and I ask the same question… and my answer its YES! Because in most routine your daily programming you for sure need to handle with packages and the best way its learn at the first moment to feel confident, and the finish section in each chapter have a chapter for you where he challenges you to finish this challenges, where its split in almost three lists where are they: easy, medium and hard, so one more detail about this section its complement and solid your knowledge the main concept of the chapter. The other chapters passing in each data type and each chapter deliver you the entire better way and build your software using functions, modules, anonymous functions, comprehension, and so on… yes, each chapter shows some mistakes you possible could get doing without any previous experience in elixir or programming as too.

The programmer passport has a path called Primers where these contents focus on the basics about the language were a great complement with the book, mostly for the people never learn about elixir or are their first steps in programming.

So each course is a list with videos where complement or extend the content on the book.

And the last not least the bulk with sites, blog posts and etc… where is a cured list based on community resource and receive a great mantra: Learn It, Do It, Grok It!

I share my wonderful thoughts with other who like to know about it and it is a real good deal, and for sure it is my friends!

I am very excited to go to my next course OTP and after that Phoenix Liveview, by the way, the Phoenix Liveview is launch on July, 15.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the post! We are so glad you are learning!

1 Like

I bought the Elixir a la carte and I’m enjoying it a lot.

Having someone who’s also doing the course is great (cc @herminiotorres) because we can share solutions and talk about the chapter content.

One thing that I found really surprising about the course is the chance to take many learning paths around a subject and to deep dive in what you’re interested in (or have time to do at the moment). On other courses I took, there weren’t too many options to explore beyond the videos.

2 Likes

That’s so fun - are you and Herminio working through things together?

2 Likes

That’s right. Even though we move at different paces, we’re always sharing doubts, solutions and comments about the journey.

2 Likes

That’s really cool - I’d love to hear more about how that works for you - wondering if it would be a fun thing to write about?

Sure! We can draft something to see if it’s helpful for others.

That would be awesome! I think it would inspire other folks :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

The $15 per month option is not available anymore?

I can only chose either the all access pass or the individual guides.
$150/year is actually a very good price, but it can be quite tough as one-pay for certain countries and economies. :sweat_smile:

While a $15 month is easier to go for some of us.
There are any plans to make it available as a monthly payment again?

Can someone who has used Grox.io tell me how they used it? I’ve got nothing but broken links and frustration so far. I can’t read anything but the introductory chapter of the book or find any actual grox.io content. Just links to lists of free content on the web that I’ve mostly already read.

Wanted to update this thread since my last post was probably unfair to grox.io. I think I’m going to try and do a full review once I’ve gone through the full course and the OTP course, but for now I’d just say that once I adjusted my assumption about how the course was organized I’ve found the actual content to be pretty good. Some of it definitely feels like a first draft but overall my impression is positive.