satb

satb

Release date is May 2017. Can’t wait for it.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

andre1sk

andre1sk

I am pretty sure Programming Phoenix 1.4 will be even better :slight_smile:

AstonJ

AstonJ

Get it from Pragprog and you’ll probably get a free update (digital books only mind!) :lol:

rkma

rkma

I was going to buy the ebook from the pragprog website now, but then I saw this. Do you really get the updated version or should I just wait?

AstonJ

AstonJ

Perhaps you could email them and ask and then let us know as what they say? But when I bought Programming Elixir 1.2 I got version 1.3 free, look here:

Also don’t forget you can get 25% off via our competition site :023:

peerreynders

peerreynders

Don’t take things for granted. Dave Thomas is in a special position inside of the Pragmatic Bookshelf and even then it was still generous of him to offer the free eBook upgrade. Ultimately people deserve to be rewarded/remunerated for their efforts. [quote=“rkma, post:4, topic:2469, full:true”]
I was going to buy the ebook from the pragprog website now, but then I saw this. Do you really get the updated version or should I just wait?
[/quote]
You would have to wait at least to next May, possibly later. This isn’t a reference book but more a guided tour of the framework by the way of working on a small project, so you should be perfectly fine with the current edition as long as you restrict yourself to Phoenix 1.1.6 so that you avoid problems like this. After that you should be perfectly capable of catching up on the updates via the framework documentation.

You could wait to see if Pragmatic Bookshelf will have a (40% off) Thanksgiving/Black Friday sale (which may or may not work in combination with the 25% site discount).

sztosz

sztosz

I on the other hand did the book with 1.2 and find the extra work needed to make examples work a nice little challenge and lesson :slight_smile:

peerreynders

peerreynders

True, sticking with the most current version can deepen the learning experience - if one is prepared to accept the (sometimes significant) additional time investment and frustration - which in the case of “Programming Phoenix” shouldn’t be too bad - though in general to a large extent it depends on one’s background and experience.

Also before beginning ensure that you have the most recent version of brunch installed - it seems that new Node and old brunch don’t get along.

DianaOlympos

DianaOlympos

Just saying but PragProg try to always offer or a big reduction or a full free upgrade for their ebooks that get updated.

ion

ion

Is May 2017 (6 months from now) the actual estimate by the authors?

alzearafat

alzearafat

Will I get the update for free :laughing:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews