Programming Phoenix ≥ 1.4 - release date? (Update: beta out now!)

I sent them an email and they confirmed:

Once the new version is released, it will be a free upgrade for customers who purchased the current version.

I knew from their FAQ that you do get free updates for ebooks:

When you buy an eBook directly from us on our website, you’re entitled to free updates for the lifetime of that edition of the book (if we create a new edition, then that will be a separate purchase).

But I wasn’t sure if this is a new edition or not. Maybe the cover picture changing means a new edition :stuck_out_tongue: (plus reworking the whole book probably).

4 Likes

It’s important to support OS authors as books are one of the few sources of revenue they earn from their efforts as OS developers. The least we can do is support them by buying the books.

3 Likes

I am buying.

2 Likes

Sorry didn’t mean to reply directly to you :slight_smile: with that post

1 Like

Haha. But I totally agree with you, they do put a lot of effort writing these books and the quality is excellent.

2 Likes

Time to pounce!

PragProg: Black Friday Annual Sale: 40% off now! (Nov.23 - Dec. 02)

3 Likes

Bleh I already own all the Elixir books I want, no idea what I can use the sale for. Maybe “Web Development in Clojure”?

1 Like

Just got it! Awesome deal! :smile:

1 Like

I worked through it during the beta phase - it is a nice “working with Clojure” guided project after some basic exposure through something like Living Clojure or Clojure for the Brave and True. However you may that find Luminus isn’t your cup of tea once you’ve been exposed to Phoenix - at that point you are probably better off poking away at Arachne (which I suspect integrates experience gained with Pedestal) on your own.

2 Likes

To be honest I don’t really want to or plan to do web dev with Clojure ha, I was just looking for something to buy. For web backends I think Elixir is better.

1 Like

I’ve got all the books I want too! :lol:

This looks good…

2 Likes

Seven Languages in 7 wekks is really good. but yeah same, the Pragmatic has not that much book that i want.

1 Like

When will the book Programming Phoenix 1.3 going to be release?

Thanks

2 Likes

I got the paper version from Amazon, so no update for me :frowning: Same as with “Programming Elixir 1.2”. Would be nice, if unique codes were to be found in the books, like in manning books, so that everybody who owns a paper copy could download e-book versions of the updated books for free.

2 Likes

May I think.

2 Likes

The problem with this book is it’s only Print in the website. Hoping to see it as an eBook also.

2 Likes

It is available as an ebook:

https://pragprog.com/book/phoenix/programming-phoenix

3 Likes

Does it cover the changes in Phx 1.3.

2 Likes

Not yet, but it’s on their list afaik :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Programming Phoenix 1.2 its still good for 1.3?, or are there many changes?

2 Likes