WestKeys

WestKeys

In Chapter 7 - Diving Deeper into Ecto Queries - Writing Queries with Keyword Syntax, we have:

Repo.one from u in User,
         select: count(u.id),
         where: ilike(u.username, "j%") or
                ilike(u.username, "c%")

Is there any reason in particular we are using count(u.id) rather than count(u)?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

cenotaph

cenotaph

basically 1:1 translation from SQL

When you work with multiple tables you need to shorthand them to specify the table if you don’t want to write the full name every time.

select u.* from users u;

translated here with really useful scopes

edit: let me get into details count(u) would ask to count instances of users table in sql, such statement doesn’t exist in SQL of course.

WestKeys

WestKeys OP

Sorry I’m not following. I think you’re answering the question “what’s the purpose of u” ? I’m asking why count ids rather than just the rows

cenotaph

cenotaph

u is not the row in that instance, as I have said it is the table if you had to map.

when you execute select count(*) you can but you should not in raw sql.

WestKeys

WestKeys OP

Ok, so this is misleading?

Programming Phoenix 1.4 - Chapter 7 - Associating Videos and Categories:

iex>​ query = from c ​in​ Category,
​…>​ ​select:​ c.name
​​iex>​ Repo.all query

First, we create a query. In this case:

from is a macro that builds a query.
c in Category means we’re pulling rows (labeled c) from the Category schema.
select: c.name means we’re going to return only the name field.

Why not?

cenotaph

cenotaph

That is the author’s description and metaphor, more fitting for an ActiveRecord ORM.. I don’t think I am gonna further comment on that.

because you might have BLOBs TEXTS in your columns or have 1000s of columns in a table, why load all into memory to count 1 of it?

you want to use the primary key to count the instance as quick as possible with minimal footprint.

WestKeys

WestKeys OP

Pretty sure the author is the author of ecto

Makes perfect sense (Edit : see below)

WestKeys

WestKeys OP

Although I am surprised mapping layers or even db engines aren’t intelligent enough to infer that a count on a table does not require loading entire row into memory…

WestKeys

WestKeys OP

Decided to do some quick research and it appears count(*) does not, in fact, load all the columns into memory

PostgreSQL Link 1

The “*” in SELECT * FROM ... is expanded to all columns. Consequently, many people think that using count(*) is inefficient and should be written count(id) or count(1) instead.

But the “*” in count(*) is quite different, it just means “row” and is not expanded at all (actually, that is a “zero-argument aggregate”). Writing count(1) or count(id) are actually slower than count(*), because they have to test if the argument IS NULL or not (count, like most aggregates, ignores NULL arguments).

PostgreSQL Link 2

A note about count(1) vs count(*). One might think that count(1) would be faster because count(*) appears to consult the data for a whole row. However the opposite is true. The star symbol is meaningless here, unlike its use in SELECT *. PostgreSQL parses The expression count(*) as a special case taking no arguments. (Historically the expression ought to have been defined as count().) On the other hand count(1) takes an argument and PostgreSQL has to check at every row to see that ts argument, 1, is indeed still not NULL.

SQL Server

For the other two queries, SQL Server would use the following rule. To perform a query like SELECT COUNT(*), SQL Server will use the narrowest non-clustered index to count the rows. If the table does not have any non-clustered index, it will have to scan the table.

MySQL

InnoDB processes SELECT COUNT(*) statements by traversing the smallest available secondary index unless an index or optimizer hint directs the optimizer to use a different index. If a secondary index is not present, InnoDB processes SELECT COUNT(*) statements by scanning the clustered index.

I’m def no db expert, just trying to understand the rationale behind count(u.id) rather than count(u)

cenotaph

cenotaph

aha wow all dbs have taken precautions against our errors, that’s great to know :slight_smile:

WestKeys

WestKeys OP

Not really, why would a db engine load every column in a row to count number of rows in a table? I’d be surprised if count(*) was ever implemented this way

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews