lawik

lawik

Nerves Core Team

I just took delivery of an Orange Pi 5 Plus that I had completely forgotten I ordered. My gadget acquistion syndrome aside. It seems like a very nice piece of kit.

It seems like it may have a decent ARM TrustZone setup if it all gets published properly. Rockchip seems to have a pretty good record on upstreaming stuff recently. Fingers crossed it can be secure booted and all that.

Pretty board, lots of ports, lots of capabilities: Orange Pi - Orangepi

NVMe 2280 slot. PCIe, 2x Ethernet, 3x HDMI, 4xUSB-A (2 of them 3.x I think), 1 USB-C port separate from USB-C power. Built-in microphone, IR-receiver and a combo 3.5mm audio jack (if I’m understanding things right).

It could be used for a wild variety of things.

Now I 2% want to use it and 98% want to see if I can get it fully set up for Nerves. And I figure that process would be great to document. I’ve made variants of RPi systems work under Nerves. I’m poking at making Nerves run on ARM64 VMs. But I haven’t brought on a new board.

This entails making a custom system. I am not starting from scratch and most people don’t have to when making a new system. You can ideally crib from Buildroot as that is what Nerves builds on top of. Or you can crib from Yocto which requires more patience and learning a separate thing. I don’t know Yocto. I know Buildroot okay at this point and they have the board.

That part of the repo contains various useful bits. But the real gold is the defconfig:
https://github.com/buildroot/buildroot/blob/master/configs/orangepi_5_plus_defconfig
This will be the foundation for our nerves_defconfig.

I don’t know at what pace I will tackle this. Probably a slow one. But this is a start for this project thread. Some videos and photos in the next post.

Showing Posts 1 to 8

lawik

lawik OP

Nerves Core Team

Just some quick shorts I shot while opening. Shaky cam activated.

lawik

lawik OP

Nerves Core Team

Pretty board. Lots of potential usages. Would upload nicer pictures but forum said no :slight_smile:

Oh! I had forgotten. One of those ports is an HDMI input :slight_smile:

AstonJ

AstonJ

Looks nice Lars! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it :smiley:

magixus

magixus

Some really nice pics / vids @lawik. I got my OPI 5B with integrated Flash memory. quick solid SBC tbh, flashing the OS using linux when Droid was pre-installed was a bit tricky but I got Linux running into it pretty easy when I understood how to do it. I presume getting nerves into it wouldn’t be of a big deal, but will try any way. I’ll probably post some progress here in this thread.

edwardzhou

edwardzhou

hi @lawik, May I know any update on this?

lawik

lawik OP

Nerves Core Team

Certainly. I’ve had zero further hours to put into it :slight_smile: unfortunately, let me know if you attempt it.

pzskc383

pzskc383

well, i got this thing and wanted to play with nerves

upstream buildroot support is there, seems feasible

lawik

lawik OP

Nerves Core Team

Go for it! Keep us posted :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews