smedegaard

smedegaard

I’m trying to write property based tests for a Reverse Polish Notation calculator.

I’ve implemented the RPN such that it will return an error tuple if you try to push a operator to the stack when the stack has less than two numbers.

defmodule ReversePolishNotation do
  @moduledoc """
  Documentation for ReversePolishNotation.
  """

  def push(list, number) when number |> is_number do
    {:ok, [number | list]}
  end

  @operators [:+, :/, :-, :*]
  def push([x, y | list], op) when op in @operators do
    result = apply(Kernel, op, [x, y])
    {:ok, [result | list]}
  end

  def push(list, input) do
    {:error, list, {:unexpected_input, input}}
  end

end

Now I want to test the happy path of pushing an operator to a stack (list) of numbers, where the list has at least two numbers in it.

since number() |> list() |> non_empty() will shrink to a one element list it does not work for me.

so I tried to to use the such_that macro to generate lists of numbers with length(l) > 1 but that ends with {:error, :cant_generate}

My test and generator

  property "can push operator to a list with minimum 2 numbers" do
    forall {list, operator} <- {list_min_two(), operator()} do
      {:ok, _new_list} = RPN.push(list, operator)
    end
  end

  # Generators

  def operator() do
    oneof([:+, :-, :/, :*])
  end

  def list_min_two() do
    such_that l <- non_empty(list(number())), when: length(l) > 1
  end

Maybe @alfert has some insight?

Showing Posts 1 to 8

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

I have only used StreamData before, but I PropCheck is probably similar. I see two possibilities for the generator:

  1. Reject cases that are shorter than two-elements as ‘improperly generated values that we do not want to use’
  2. Generate a a = non_empty(list(number())) and a separate b = number(), which you then combine (using a map or bind operation to turn them into [a | b] if PropCheck has something like that, I did not find it right away, or otherwise just inside your tests).
smedegaard

smedegaard OP

Thanks for the reply!

such_that l <- non_empty(list(number())), when: length(l) > 1

I was trying to achieve your first point with the above code.
The such_that macro should discard generated values when the anonymous function returns false.

I thought about combining generators in the way you suggest in point 2. But I have not found out how. I’ll dig a bit more into that :+1:

smedegaard

smedegaard OP

I thought I tried this yesterday but I Solved i with [ number() | list_of_numbers ]

where list_of_numbers = non_empty(list(number()))

I also filtered 0 out to avoid division by zero errors, but that’s another story.

alfert

alfert

Sorry for my long delay. I cannot reproduce your problem with the such_that operator. I did the following:

iex> use PropCheck
iex> produce(such_that l <- non_empty(list(number())), when: length(l) > 1)
{:ok,
 [-10, -12.498990234832617, 26.565811750847487, -0.8553774801624835,  -11.727179060408071, 11, 6, -6, 0, -18]}

iex> sample_shrink(such_that l <- non_empty(list(number())), when: length(l) > 1)
[-10.085757951113234,4,0.49263719097867137,-8.994420603636804,-4,-33,
 -1.3484964548787592,-2,-28,0.772165396869481]
[-10.085757951113234,4,0.49263719097867137,-8.994420603636804,-4]
[-10.085757951113234,4,0.49263719097867137]
[4,0.49263719097867137]
[0,0.49263719097867137]
[0,21]
[0,0]
:ok

This would be the expected behaviour. Using the produce and sample_shrink helps to find bugs in the generators.

But your approach using

iex> sample_shrink([number() | non_empty(list(number))])
[-6,-129.9346393942964,1,9]
[0,-129.9346393942964,1,9]
[0,1,9]
[0,9]
[0,0]
:ok

works equally well: a list of generators is also a generator and will not shrink towards the empty list. The combination of generators works on the generator and not on the data level, therefore both generators must be present when shrinking.

Hope that explains the approach.

In your case, I would go for several generators:

def non_zero_number, do: such_that n <- number(), where: n != 0
def list_min_two(elem_gen), do: 
   such_that l <- non_empty(list(elem_gen() )), when: length(l) > 1
def safe_numbers, do: list_min_two(non_zero_number())
def numbers, do: list_min_two(number())

But I assume your approach is similar.

If this still fails, then please file a bug report on GitHub! In the best case, we have a documentation issue.

smedegaard

smedegaard OP

Thanks a lot for the answer. Your examples in iex works fine. Don’t know why the function didn’t work…

ferd

ferd

Author of Property-Based Testing with PropEr, LYSE, & Erlang in Anger

you may want to use some cheats that let you properly ensure that you never generate useless sequences, using let macros. You can do something like let l <- list(elem()), do: [elem(), elem() | l] which will give a 2-or-more elements list no matter what happens, without needing retried generators in a such_that macro.

smedegaard

smedegaard OP

Cool. Thanks @fred!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews