rhcarvalho

rhcarvalho

tldr: I propose we standardize on Title Case for the Phoenix and LiveView documentation.


A code review suggestion by @josevalim made me realize that section titles in Phoenix and Phoenix LiveView documentation don’t follow a specific pattern.

From what I’ve been following of Elixir and Phoenix, there’s a push to improve the quality and polish of documentation, among other initiatives.

I believe consistency, in particular consistent capitalization, makes for more pleasant documents that are easier to read on screen and in print, adding an extra level of polish to match the quality of the content.

A screenshot to illustrate the current situation:

image

Many titles capitalize only the first letter (e.g. “Security considerations”) and proper nouns (e.g. “Assigns and HEEx templates”). However, some others use Title Case (e.g. “API Reference”, “External Uploads”, “Debugging Client Events”).

At the main Phoenix docs, most top level titles use Title Case. There are exceptions, so it is not fully consistent. Another illustration:

image

Considering the common practice in published English works and the recommendation of many style guides, I propose we standardize on Title Case for the Phoenix and LiveView documentation to make it feel consistent and familiar to the community.

If the proposal is accepted, I volunteer to document the style preference in the repos and update existing titles. Since only capitalization would change, there would be no impact on existing links as they are all downcased anyway (e.g. “Debugging Client Events” is at https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix_live_view/js-interop.html#debugging-client-events). The updates can be done in multiple stages without prejudice to the end result, thus avoiding huge and hard to review PRs.

PS: As an extra reference that uses Title Case, consider the Erlang Reference Manual User’s Guide.

I would love to hear feedback from the community :purple_heart:

Showing Posts 1 to 1

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Elixir doesn’t use title casing in its docs, so I’d argue for not using it in Phoenix/LiveView either. :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Proposals: Ideas Top

a3kov
I recently learned about this API and was surprised there’s no explicit support for it in the the Phoenix. Example use cases: A webs...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews