kip
ex_cldr Core Team
CLDR has developed a lot of content to annotate emoji and other characters. I am considering a new library (ex_cldr_annotations) to expose that content. A poll is at the end of this post for anyone motivated to provide me some feedback as to whether this would be useful.
What would this library do?
- Encode annotations (emoji) from text. For example:
iex> Cldr.Annotation.encode "why is your cat grinning?"
`["why is your ", {"đ¸", "grinning cat"}, "?"]`
- Look up emoji that could be used in a live view UI. For example:
iex> Cldr.Annotation.lookup "cat"
[đ¸", đš", "đ", ...]
iex> Cldr.Annotation.lookup "Katze", locale: "de"
[đ¸", đš", "đ", ...]
And of course other functions can be added as appropriate.
Please Provide some feedback about this proposal
- Not even slightly interested
- Maybe helpful in the future but no clear use case for me
- I donât care about localisation, but emoji lookups in English would be helpful
- Yes, good idea, I can use this to encode emojis for localised text and improve application UX
0
voters
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 â Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hey, Iâm Jesse and Iâm the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hi everyone,
Iâve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Iâll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
I am happy to introduce the very Îą version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
Weâve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, Iâve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Hey folks,
I just published a post about Hologramâs funding and where the project goes next - the short version:
Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
I love Elixir. Itâs one of 2 programming languages Iâve ever fallen in love with.
But I donât use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
I am fully on board. People use a lot of stuff on their phones where screen space is precious so judicious use of an emoji here and there can really help both in terms of compressing more content on the same screen and making it a bit more expressive.
That being said, replacing the literal âcat grinningâ text with an emoji thatâs technically called âgrinning catâ is confusing and I wouldnât find it helpful. It changes the text from âWhy is your cat grinning?â to âWhy is your grinning cat?â which kind of sounds like Drax in âInfinity Warâ famously exclaiming: âWHY is Gamora?â.