hackersleepyhead

hackersleepyhead

Hello,

what would be the best type for proto3 to handle NaiveDateTime from Elixir types.

message PostResponse {
    string content = 1;
    string id = 2;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp inserted_at = 3;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp updated_at = 4;
    string user_id = 5;
}

I think Timestamp is not the best one, I want to have the NativeDateTime type value as it is.
any help would be appreciated.

Showing Posts 1 to 8

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Well, NaiveDateTime is just a struct / map after all:

iex(1)> NaiveDateTime.now() |> Map.keys()
[:__struct__, :calendar, :day, :hour, :microsecond, :minute, :month, :second,
 :year]

The calendar field is usually the module/atom Calendar.ISO so you can strip it if you don’t deal with other calendars, and the special __struct__ field, and then end up with this:

iex(2)> NaiveDateTime.utc_now() |> Map.from_struct() |> Map.drop([:__struct__, :calendar])
%{
  day: 10,
  hour: 12,
  microsecond: {981284, 6},
  minute: 32,
  month: 3,
  second: 40,
  year: 2021
}

You can then also remove the decimal precision value from microsecond by using elem(..., 0) and then you’ll just have seven unsigned 32-bit integers (which you can encode with int32 since it uses variable-length encoding over the wire). That resulting map of seven integers can then very easily be described as a nested Protobuf structure afterwards.

Of course, you can also convert the NaiveDateTime to UNIX seconds / milliseconds / microseconds / nanoseconds and just encode the whole thing as a 64-bit unsigned integer:

naive_date_time_from_another_function
|> DateTime.from_naive!("Etc/UTC") # assuming your times are in UTC
|> DateTime.to_unix(:microsecond) # or :second, or :millisecond, or :nanosecond)
hackersleepyhead

hackersleepyhead OP

Thanks for the response @dimitarvp, this really helps, this way I can do it after fetching the data from DB and updated columns before passing it to PostResponse.new(), and works for limited data sets.

But the thing I have nested fields inside a list of a map and the list goes to 1000’s, is there a way where I could set this parser and a specified type globally so that can be applied all the timestamps field.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Well, Elixir is not one of the fastest languages (although it’s one of the fastest dynamic languages!) but without having sample data and some of your code, I can’t help further.

If you are feeling up for it, you can make a GitHub project with sample code and something like 3000-5000 of these records and we can both test implementations and benchmark. I’d like it and will help you with it.

But as for this:

…I am not sure I follow what you are saying. Can you clarify?

hackersleepyhead

hackersleepyhead OP

Hey @dimitarvp

I really appreciate your time for this, thanks for your response.

Here is what I meant,

message PostResponse {
    bool active = 1;
    bool anonymous = 2;
    string content = 3;
    repeated string group_id = 4;
    string id = 5;
    string user_id = 6;
    repeated MediaResponse media = 7;
    PollsResponse polls = 8;
    bool sensitive = 9;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp inserted_at = 10;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp updated_at = 11;
}

message MediaResponse {
    string src = 1;
    enum MediaType {
        IMAGE = 0;
        VIDEO = 1;
      }
    MediaType type = 2;
    int32 order = 3;
    string caption = 4;
    bool active = 5;
    string post_id = 6;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp inserted_at = 7;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp updated_at = 8;
}

message PollsResponse {
    bool active = 1;
    string id = 2;
    repeated PollOptionsResponse poll_options = 3;
    string post_id = 4;
    string summary = 5;
    string title = 6;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp start_date = 7;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp end_date = 8;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp inserted_at = 9;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp updated_at = 10;
}

message PollOptionsResponse {
    bool active = 1;
    string context = 2;
    string id = 3;
    string polls_id = 4;
    repeated PollVotesResponse poll_votes = 5;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp inserted_at = 6;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp updated_at = 7; 
}

message PollVotesResponse {
    string id = 1;
    bool active = 2; 
    string user_id = 3; 
    string context = 4; 
    string poll_options_id = 5;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp inserted_at = 6;
    google.protobuf.Timestamp updated_at = 7; 
}

and In elixir, the response looks like

%TwitterProto.PostResponse{
  active: true,
  anonymous: false,
  content: "Some content in here",
  group_id: ["547bd541-880b-4bd0-8b41-3e19e23f3064",
   "c2edaa11-1915-4212-8bf4-3fba1ca286a3"],
  id: "65dfc815-62f3-4a8e-b31d-05b87ea0e902",
  media: [
    %Twitter.MediaResponse{
      active: true,
      caption: "",
      order: 1,
      post_id: "65dfc815-62f3-4a8e-b31d-05b87ea0e902",
      src: "",
      type: :IMAGE
    },
    %Twitter.MediaResponse{
      active: true,
      caption: "",
      order: 2,
      post_id: "65dfc815-62f3-4a8e-b31d-05b87ea0e902",
      src: "",
      type: :IMAGE
    }
  ],
  polls: %TwitterProto.PollsResponse{
    active: true,
    id: "2843684e-1d00-4208-a88d-ed980071d807",
    poll_options: [
      %TwitterProto.PollOptionsResponse{
        active: true,
        context: "Yes",
        id: "b7c20db7-09d2-4087-a55d-32bc356aa2d3",
        poll_votes: [],
        polls_id: "2843684e-1d00-4208-a88d-ed980071d807"
      },
      %TwitterProto.PollOptionsResponse{
        active: true,
        context: "No",
        id: "cefe92a1-a52e-436c-a48d-7da84af81fc4",
        poll_votes: [],
        polls_id: "2843684e-1d00-4208-a88d-ed980071d807"
      },
      %TwitterProto.PollOptionsResponse{
        active: true,
        context: "Maybe",
        id: "41e727ed-2c55-4d8c-a2bd-fb4fe66c5f3c",
        poll_votes: [
            %{}, %{}, %{} .... 10_00_0000
        ],
        polls_id: "2843684e-1d00-4208-a88d-ed980071d807"
      }
    ],
    post_id: "65dfc815-62f3-4a8e-b31d-05b87ea0e902", 
    summary: "",
    title: "Are you willing to join ARMY??"
  },
  sensitive: false,
  user_id: "ad29e49a-5e61-43cf-ab85-438f2ee9fb16"
}

the above response will have multiple nested maps with timestamp() fields, so if I parse after fetching the data from DB, I have to loop through all the nested maps, and also I feel like it won’t be generic. Is there a way or any suggestion to achieve this in a generic way??

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Yeah, doesn’t seem like it right now.

Which library are you using to [de]serialize the data?

hackersleepyhead

hackersleepyhead OP

I am using elixir-grpc/grpc and google_protos

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Cool. So will you make a small GitHub project – with some sample data included – so we can iterate on this?

hackersleepyhead

hackersleepyhead OP

For sure, I will create Repo for this, will get back to you.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews