augnustin
Hello,
I want to have a protocol with 3 methods with 2 optional having the following logic:
defprotocol MyRepo.Render do
@fallback_to_any true
def to_string(data)
def to_index_string(data)
def to_show_string(data)
end
# some custom implementations
defimpl MyRepo.Render, for: Any do
def to_index_string(data), do: MyRepo.Render.to_string(data)
def to_show_string(data), do: MyRepo.Render.to_string(data)
def to_string(data), do: MyRepo.Render.to_index_string(data) || "#{inspect data}"
end
So that I can have for some data structures:
defimpl MyApp.Render, for: __MODULE__ do
def to_index_string(data) do
"get something"
end
def to_show_string(booklet_1) do
"get something else"
end
end
And for others:
defimpl MyApp.Render, for: __MODULE__ do
def to_string(data) do
"get something general"
end
end
It seems like for modules with no def impl is present, it works as expected, but when I define either to_index_string and to_show_string or to_string, the compiler complains that the other methods are missing:
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function MyRepo.Render.MyApp.MyDataStruct.to_show_string/1 is undefined or private, but the behaviour MyRepo.Render expects it to be present. Did you mean one of:
* to_string/1
(vae) MyRepo.Render.MyApp.MyDataStruct.to_show_string(%MyApp.MyDataStruct{})
How can I achieve what I want?
Thanks
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
You can’t.
A protocol always requires you to implement all associated functions. There are no optionals.
Fallback to any is an all or nothing. Either you have implemented the protocol for a given type or it will use
Anys implementation.augnustin
Thanks @NobbZ for getting back!
Wow, this feels like a limitation, doesn’t it?
Ain’t there any solution so I can circumvent my problem? Like using something else than
defprotocol?NobbZ
I never hit that limitation, but perhaps @OvermindDL1 library
protocol_excan help you?I never actually looked at it, but I know he developed it because he found the original protocols quite limiting.
protocol_ex | Hex
benwilson512
You can do this explicitly with relative ease by just
defdelegateing the functions you don’t want to implement to theAnyimplementation. EG:defdelegate to_index_string, to: MyRepo.Render.Any.OvermindDL1
Yep mine can do it. ProtocolEx supports not just implementation on specific types but even specific matchspecs so you could match even on specific values if you want (with a full priority system), along with features of being able to inline the implementations into a single module if you need absolute speed, supports optional callbacks, fallback callbacks, a testing structure, etc… And of course all of the extra stuff is optional.
But yeah, if all you need is ‘just’ an optional kind of thing, defdelegate is easy enough to use at each site, which can be wrapped up in a
usewith override and so forth perhaps?