denvaar
I’m not sure if this is the way things are intended to be, but I’ve noticed that the following modules (in a new mix project using erlang 26.1.2 & elixir 1.15.7) produce a cycle error:
defprotocol MyProto do
@fallback_to_any true
def foo(x)
end
defimpl MyProto, for: Any do
def foo(_x), do: :any
end
defimpl MyProto, for: Specific do
def foo(_x), do: :specific
end
mix xref graph --format cycles --label compile-connected --fail-above 0
1 cycles found. Showing them in decreasing size:
Cycle of length 3:
lib/any.ex
lib/my_proto.ex
lib/any.ex
** (Mix) Too many cycles (found: 1, permitted: 0)
So, is this intended behavior? If so, what’s the best way to ignore it? Otherwise, can someone explain why it’s expected?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
sodapopcan
Using your exact example, and a few variations of it, I am unable to reproduce this. Does this happen for you with this exact code or is there more to it?
More generally, I think
--fail-above 0is pretty aggressive. Some things are inherently cyclical and so long as you can keep “boundaried” off it’s all good (think db schemas withbelongs_toandhas_many). Of course I know nothing of your project so I’m just blabbing here.denvaar
https://github.com/denvaar/protocol_bug_demo
with erlang 26.1.2 and elixir 1.15.7
sodapopcan
Thanks for the repo! I was testing mostly in one file.
So TL;DR, move the impl for
Anyto the same file as thedefprotocoland you’re good.In terms of why this is, hopefully someone else can explain as I’m interested myself. I have an inkling but I don’t want to make stuff up (at least not this time
)
Of note:
1.18.2 only produces a cycle length of 2. I’ve helped nuke compiled time deps in a few projects over the past few years and each new version of Elixir makes good strides in eliminating unnecessary deps.
Practically speaking, in both 1.15 and 1.18, it’s only when you change the
Anyimplementation that every file that implements the protocol will be triggered. This is expected and will happen regardless of where you have definedAny.sodapopcan
I looked into it a little bit and I’m assuming it’s this line. This is going to create a compile time dep on the module defined by
defprotocoland then of course that module needs to know about the protocol module. I also didn’t realize until I tried it out that in general so long as two modules are defined in the same file then no compile time dep is created between them, so that would explain that.LostKobrakai
The elixir compiler works on a per file basis. So there’s simply no need to track and dependencies between things in a single file.