ChaseGilliam
There’s a great video about a REPL vizualization/live coding tool for Clojure called ProtoREPL and it looks really nice! There’s a cool inline code result here in the video. It’s built on Atom, and I feel like if the concept works for Clojure, why not Elixir?
Check out this gif from their repo.

Would anyone be interested in hacking with Ink to make an Elixir Atom plugin?
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
lrosa007
check out emacs alchemist you’ll either get some ideas or fall in love
ChaseGilliam
Yeah, I’ve seen alchemist, and it looks very nice. It would be great to have something similar in… not emacs.
michalmuskala
The alchemist server is completely independent, and I think it’s used by some other editors already.
lrosa007
I’m down to help with anything, i dont use atom anymore since moving to spacemacs but it sounds like a fun project as well as being good for the community.
collegeimprovements
Alchemist currently doesn’t support
pry. Though there is a github issue for that.If spacemacs is open then we can’t debug through our terminal also.
Apart from this it’s really very cool. Though I don’t know if something like
protoREPLis entirely possible with spacemacs now.@Irosa007 which feature of spacemacs/alchemist do you use the most?
lrosa007
Just to be clear spacemacs is just emacs but with some community configs. With that being said I don’t see why E-lisp wouldn’t be capable of such a thing as protoREPL. I’m pretty sure a lot of clojure people actually really like emacs so something similar might already exist for emacs but I’m not a clojure guy. There’s also a spacemacs-like setup for Atom called proton. Regardless, I believe the OP wants something similar to clojure’s dev environment with Atom but for elixir. Alchemist is not dependent on emacs either.
As far as which features I use the most from spacemacs/alchemist… pretty much all of it: Doc look up, some of the phoenix stuff like route look up, major mode commands ( ‘,-t-a’ runs all tests for example), etc.
ChaseGilliam
Yeah, I may need to just double down on spacemacs, if that’s where the community is. Proton looks super nice for day to day editing while I’m getting better a spacemacs. But what I’m really interested in is the data display beyond the inline eval.