Tam

Tam

Hi all, relatively new to using commanded and event sourcing, so trying to wrap my head around things.

Regarding event-centric Domain Driven Design, I’ve come to understand that events are the backbone of things that happen in a system, so everything should be modeled with them. It’s only at certain points where a decision must be made that a command should be used to drive that event.

I’d like to use commanded to facilitate writing those events into code, however I’m running into a bit of an issue: I haven’t found a way to publish events without a corresponding command and aggregate. This is not ideal, as the domains I’ve modeled do not all use aggregates.

Rather than hacking in one-time-use aggregates and fake commands, I would really rather have a way to publish events appropriately.

Is there any way that this can be done? Thank you to anyone for any help that they can give.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

Tam

Tam OP

Ok, I figured it out after reading more carefully the Aggregate code.

The trick was that my original attempt at using EventStore.append_to_stream was missing event correlation and causation metadata. All I needed to do was use the Mapper to add that data back in and viola, I no longer need to keep an aggregate.

Here’s module I wrote that works for me.

Replace Core.Cmd.Evt with whatever you want to name the event dispatcher, and replace Core.Cmd with the module that has use Commanded.Application

defmodule Core.Cmd.Evt do
  alias Commanded.EventStore
  alias Commanded.Event.Mapper

  def dispatch(e) do
    dispatch(e, [])
  end

  def dispatch(event, opts) when is_struct(event) do
    dispatch([event], opts)
  end

  def dispatch(events, opts) when is_list(events) do
    EventStore.append_to_stream(
      Core.Cmd,
      Keyword.get(opts, :stream_id, "manual_event_stream"),
      Keyword.get(opts, :version, 0),
      Mapper.map_to_event_data(events,
        correlation_id: Keyword.get(opts, :correlation_id, UUID.uuid4()),
        causation_id: Keyword.get(opts, :causation_id, UUID.uuid4()),
        metadata: Keyword.get(opts, :metadata, %{})
      )
    )
  end
end
Tam

Tam OP

Just wanted to note an update because it seems our posts are immutable (as expected for an Elixir community): the :version can probably be better off having :any_version instead of 0.

defmodule Core.Cmd.Evt do
  alias Commanded.EventStore
  alias Commanded.Event.Mapper

  def dispatch(e) do
    dispatch(e, [])
  end

  def dispatch(event, opts) when is_struct(event) do
    dispatch([event], opts)
  end

  def dispatch(events, opts) when is_list(events) do
    EventStore.append_to_stream(
      Core.Cmd,
      Keyword.get(opts, :stream_id, "manual_event_stream"),
      Keyword.get(opts, :version, :any_version),
      Mapper.map_to_event_data(events,
        correlation_id: Keyword.get(opts, :correlation_id, UUID.uuid4()),
        causation_id: Keyword.get(opts, :causation_id, UUID.uuid4()),
        metadata: Keyword.get(opts, :metadata, %{})
      )
    )
  end
end

The unfortunate downside with this technique is that the InMemoryEventStore can’t really be used for testing, but the positive side is that Mox can be a better substitute with the appropriate behaviour defined.

defmodule Core.Cmd.Evt.Behaviour do
  @callback dispatch(event :: map() | struct() | list(struct())) ::
              :ok | {:ok, term()} | {:error, reason :: term()}
  @callback dispatch(event :: list(struct()), opts :: keyword()) ::
              :ok | {:ok, term()} | {:error, reason :: term()}
end

with

# test/support/test_helper.exs
Mox.defmock(MockEvt, for: Core.Cmd.Evt.Behaviour)

and with functions that take in an event dispatcher parameter.

slashdotdash

slashdotdash

You should be able to use the Commanded.EventStore.append_to_stream/4 function to append one or more events to an event stream using the event store configured for the Commanded Application. The function expects a list of Commanded.EventStore.EventData structs to be given.

Using this function will allow different event stores to be used for different Mix environments, such as using the in-memory event store in the test enironment.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews