blset

blset

When creating a new project with

mix phx.new proj --umbrella

the phoenix_pubsub dependency is placed in the mix.exs of the proj app and not under the proj_web app.

but that seems against app isolation. since the proj app, in the idea, should have no dependency on phoenix nor any web consideration.

more over when manually placing the phoenix pub_sub in the proj_web mix.exs and adjusting the config of the umbrella config, it does not work with message

unknown registry: ProjWeb.PubSub

how to make i work with phoenix_pubsub under the web app ?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

PubSub, even though used by the channels, is not a web concern. It is to send (publish) messages to a couple of subscribers, in a way that the publisher does not need to know the subscribers, while also the subscribers do not need to know the publisher(s) in advance.

It can be used for a lot more things than just “web”.

blset

blset OP

All right, but having both mix apps proj and proj_web under umbrella, what if I wanted to place the phoenix pub sub dependency (which is needed by proj_web --the phoenix app-- ) under the proj_web, because I don’t need pubsub in the proj app and pubsub is needed by the phoenix app ?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

That should be no problem for as long as you make sure pubsub is started before the endpoint in your supervision tree.

blset

blset OP

How to make that afterwards ?

there are two scenarios :

1 using mix phx.new proj --umbrella

it works out of the box but if I move the dependency to the proj_web mix.exs it does not work
anymore with the error message previously cited

2 creating a bare mix umbrella project and then mix phx.new.web --noecto --live

when the dependency is moved, the config file at the top of the umbrella project must be modified, that’s ok, but
even in scenario 1 I see no where PubSub is started in a supervision tree

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You need to move both the dependency and where pubsub is started in the supervision tree (application.ex) and rename all the places where the module name is mentioned.

blset

blset OP

even in a bare phoenix project Proj/ProjWeb not under an umbrella there is no place where the Proj.PubSub is explicitly started

If I try to put Proj.PubSub (the missing name in registry) in the children for the supervision tree the message is module does not exist

looks like the PubSub is hardcoded on the name Proj (if phx.new proj)

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Here’s the place it’s started for a single project phoenix app:

And here for the umbrella version:

blset

blset OP

thank you

so I did not have it because I used the flag --no-ecto and the pubSub goes with it in the template “if ecto”

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

No, there are <% end %> parts directly on the line with the repo declaration.

blset

blset OP

you are right but then maybe when you use mix phx.new.web (which I did afterwards having previously created a general mix umbrella project) you do not have the PubSub started in the supervision tree

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews