tim2CF
Hi again, I have question related to previous. To find answer I probably have to read compiler source code, but maybe you know answer already. I want some utility function which will do validation of ast, something like:
valid_guard?(ast) :: boolean
which I want to reuse to assume that given expression is pure. This function, or similar equivalent should exist in Erlang/Elixir compiler for sure, because it’s doing this purity validation well.
Writing own custom equivalent is not the best option, because you have to deal with possible things like
import Kernel, except: [{:'-', 1}]
import UnpureOverride, only: [{:'-', 1}]
But compiler is already doing all this smart stuff and can recognise this impurity
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
lpil
If you want to know if a macro is a valid guard you can use Macro — Elixir v1.20.2 and then traverse the AST, checking if all the calls in that AST are guards themselves.
If you wish to know whether a function it pure it is a much more difficult task, one not possible with the Elixir compiler today.
What do you mean by this? The Elixir compiler does not know whether functions are pure or not.
tim2CF
I mean that both Erlang and Elixir compilers don’t allow application of impure functions in guard expressions. And I just want to reuse this utility. Check that given AST is pure for sure, either that it might be impure.
lpil
They don’t track if functions are pure, instead they have a small list of permitted functions and operators, and if any other functions are used then the code is rejected by the compiler. In Elixir it is the same process I outlined above with macro expansion.
Purity inference isn’t need as being pure isn’t enough for a function to be valid in a guard.
tim2CF
Thanks, I understand, that’s completely fine for my proposes. I maintain this library
And atm it don’t allow any function application. But I want to allow application of functions which are pure for sure. It can be small subset of pure functions, that’s fine. Because atm expressions like
foo: -42are rejected by library because there is&Kernel.-/1function application there.tim2CF
I just don’t want to re-invent the wheel, and deal with tricky possibilities like
Erlang/Elixir compiler already have utility to deal with this kind of stuff and reject it in guards because of possible impurity
hauleth
No, not really. Erlang/Elixir just have defined set of “guard safe” functions which are allowed. There is much broader set of pure functions that will not be allowed in guards.
lpil
They do not have this functionality I’m afraid.
You’re effectively wanting to write a kind of static type system for Erlang- it would be a large piece of work.
tim2CF
I think it will be quite enough for purposes of my library. Do you know name of utility function which checks that given AST is valid guard? Or maybe some guesses where to search it?
lpil
I suspect it will not be, you will be limited to just these functions:
There’s no way to iterate or recurse, and there is no flow control.
hauleth
erl_internal:guard_bif/2orerl_lint:is_guard_test/1