carter

carter

I am learning to do drag and drop in Liveview. Using HTML Drag & Drop API, I am able to drag & drop elements but is there a way to raise an event back to Liveview to trigger more actions from the event handler?

`
function allowDrop(ev) {
ev.preventDefault();
}

  function drag(ev) {
    ev.dataTransfer.setData("text", ev.target.id);
  }

  function drop(ev) {
    ev.preventDefault();
    var data = ev.dataTransfer.getData("text");
    ev.target.appendChild(document.getElementById(data));        
  }
</script>`

Showing Posts 1 to 6

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You can use hooks to link js with LV elements: JavaScript interoperability — Phoenix LiveView v1.2.5

carter

carter OP

Thank you helping. Please forgive me for asking a very newbie question. Is this how it is done?

let Hooks = {}
Hooks.ElementDrop = {

    mounted() {
        function allowDrop(ev) {
            ev.preventDefault();
        }

        function drag(ev) {
            ev.dataTransfer.setData("text", ev.target.id);
        }
 
        function drop(ev) {
            ev.preventDefault();
            var data = ev.dataTransfer.getData("text");
            ev.target.appendChild(document.getElementById(data));
        }
    }
}

let liveSocket = new LiveSocket("/live", Socket, {
    params: {
        _csrf_token: csrfToken,
        hooks: Hooks,
    }
})

and in Liveview, I do this.

<div phx-hook="ElementDrop">

But this resulted in

unknown hook for “ElementDrop”

I spent the whole day trying to find a step-by-step intro for beginners to no avail. Can you point me in the right direction to get over this hurdle? Thank you!

cmo

cmo

In your mounted all you are doing is defining some functions, which aren’t being used. So you’re essentially doing nothing in the hook.

Do you want to be attaching some event handlers instead, using this.el.addEventListener(...)?

03juan

03juan

Here are a couple of articles for integrating drag and drop with Live View. They use the older LEEx template syntax but should otherwise work for you to learn from.

carter

carter OP

Hey thank you all for your suggestions. I will give it a try to see if I can make it work.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews