skosch

skosch

To my knowledge, put_in, Map.update etc. all have the one limitation of not automatically creating intermediate keys when needed (for example, put_in(%{a: %{}}, [:a, :b, :c], 42) will fail). But – despite all the risks – this would be useful to have: for instance, I often use reduce to create a nested, aggregate representation of a list of complex objects (say, counting occurrences by categories and sub-categories), which is a one-liner when you don’t have to worry about intermediate keys (think mkdir -p).

The implementation is simple enough (see deep_update example below, which I’m already using all over my projects). I have a nagging feeling this must already be part of Elixir’s standard library and I just don’t know about it? If not, is there a particular reason it isn’t?

  %spec deep_update(map(), [any()], any(), any() -> any()) :: map()
  def deep_update(map, [leaf_key], default, update_func) do
    updated_leaf = if is_map(map) and Map.has_key?(map, leaf_key) do
      update_func.(map[leaf_key])
    else
      default
    end
    Map.put(map, leaf_key, updated_leaf)
  end
  def deep_update(map, [key | key_tail], default, update_func) do
    if is_map(map) and Map.has_key?(map, key) do
      new_branch = deep_update(map[key], key_tail, default, update_func)
      Map.put(map, key, new_branch)
    else
      new_branch = deep_update(%{}, key_tail, default, update_func)
      Map.put(map, key, new_branch)
    end
  end

Showing Posts 1 to 10

peerreynders

peerreynders

Not entirely sure if this addresses what you are trying to accomplish but have you had a look at Kernel.put_in/3, Kernel.get_and_update_in/3 and the like - and Access behavior?

skosch

skosch OP

put_in and get_and_update_in have the same limitation I described, and I don’t know of any Access functions that do what I’m looking for (do correct me if they exist).

peerreynders

peerreynders

So if I understand you correctly you want

put_in(%{a: %{}}, [:a, :b, :c], 42)

to result in

%{a: %{b: %{c: 42)} } }

One problem I see is that you are assuming that :b should refer to a Map value i.e. that the nested structure is a homogenous Map. The Access data[key] syntax is right out of the box also supported by Keyword lists - and any other structure that cares to implement the Access behaviour so there is some ambiguity right there - just because there is a key doesn’t automatically mean it should be a Map.

skosch

skosch OP

Yeah, that would explain why Access behaviour doesn’t cover this. I obviously only use this for plain maps-of-maps. Still, it could be part of the Map module?

peerreynders

peerreynders

Nobody is stopping you from creating helpers that you use because that is a simplifying assumption that you want to make in your own code and your own structures.

But in general terms looking at just [:a, :b, :c] the types of the values referenced by :a and b: can’t be known unless they already exist - with :c the type is known because you are giving it the value. Map simply manages the keys and the values - it doesn’t want to make any assumptions about the type of values it manages so that it can be generic.

skosch

skosch OP

Fair point, thanks @peerreynders

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

You can achieve this today using Access.key/2:

put_in(%{a: %{}}, Enum.map([:a, :b, :c], &Access.key(&1, %{})), 42)

If you use it often, you could wrap it in a function to do this automatically for you.

39
Post #7
skosch

skosch OP

Ahhh, very cool. I’d seen Access.key before but never made the connection that I could use it like that. Thanks Michał! :+1:

tjdam

tjdam

This is really great, does anyone one know why it’s in Kernel and not Map, though?

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

put_in can manipulate anything that Access supports, not just maps. For instance:

iex(1)> a = {1, 2, :x}
{1, 2, :x}
iex(2)> put_in a, [Access.elem(2)], :foo
{1, 2, :foo}

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews