simonsmith

simonsmith

I have a lot of resources nested under 1 common resource. For example a blog hosting site which has the following resources:

    resources "/blogs", BlogController do
        resources "/comments", CommentController
        resources "/posts", PostController
        resources "/users", UserController
    end

In just about every request I need the blog struct, rather than adding “blog_id” => blog_id in all the controller signatures then making a db call I thought it might be wise to have some plug middle-wear to put the blog struct on conn.

Is this concept a good idea or is there a better practice?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

trarbr

trarbr

I don’t know if this is a good idea, but I have done something similar in one project, and found it to work well in my case. I only have one nested resource though. For this reason, I have defined the plug as a function in controller for the nested resource, e.g.:

defmodule MyApp.CommentController do
  ...
  plug(:assign_blog)
  ...
  case Blogs.get_blog(conn.params["blog_id"]) do
      %Blog{} = blog ->
        assign(conn, :blog, blog)

      nil ->
        raise Error.exception("Blog not found", 404)
    end
    ...
end

If you have several controllers which need the blog resource, then I’d suggest putting that function in a dedicated module (like a “real” plug).

trarbr

trarbr

I actually just stumbled upon this blog post which shows how to do it in more detail: https://leejarvis.me/posts/2020/phoenix-simplify-nested-resources

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews