Query options for unsafe_validate_unique/4

Hey guys, I ran into a slight issue today:

I’m currently building a multi-tenant setup using foreign keys, similar to the docs.
The tenant key is enforced for every query on the repo level using prepare_query (as seen here), which means I have to provide either a tenant key or a skip parameter to my queries.

This doesn’t work, though, when doing validations with unsafe_validate_unique/4 (and maybe others) because it doesn’t let me add options to the query.

I removed the validation for now and will wire up my own check on uniqueness. Still, I was just curious how you guys would solve such problems, as I’m sure other functions also execute queries under the hood where I can’t provide my tenant Infos.

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not sure how it would interact with the prepare_query plumbing, but making the validation match [:field_that_should_be_unique, :org_id] (where org_id is the tenant FK) seems like it would get the right query.

2 Likes

Thanks, Matt! Yea, the plumbing is actually the issue. In general, the validation works, but the query doesn’t get executed because it needs the org_id added as an option to the query. The options I can provide to unsafe_validate_query/4 are used by that function and not being passed down to the query - unless you do multi-tenancy with prefixes. And this is what I just ended up doing: switched the app from foreign key to prefix-based multi-tenancy.

While the former appealed to me at first by being straightforward to implement, it needs little tweaks and changes all over the place, and sometimes I’d run into a wall, as the example above shows. :man_shrugging:

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

I think, in theory, you have to pass your :skip_person_id to the :repo_opts as per this notation:

"""
  * `:repo_opts` - the options to pass to the `Ecto.Repo` call.
"""

It would appear the :repo_opts are not getting passed down to the prepare_query/3 function. But, I don’t know. :thinking: :blush:

1 Like

Oh, interesting! As part of the changeset… :thinking: I might try this, but to be honest, that was the point when I switched to prefixes :grimacing: Too many things that kept popping up… But I still have the old branch and see if I can get it to work that way. Thank you!

1 Like

Just for reference I ran into the same problem today and found that a fix for this should be coming in the next Ecto release. unsafe_validate_unique/4 has been updated to accept a keyword list of repo_opts.

See the change here: ecto/changeset.ex at 0b990278ca6b418c0137dd0bdf9f0c5003062629 · elixir-ecto/ecto · GitHub

2 Likes

Oh that’s good news, Andy! Thanks for letting us know! :slight_smile:

I ran into the same problem and could fix it based on your post:

unsafe_validate_unique(:email, MyApp.Repo, repo_opts: [skip_org_id: true])

Thx andyjones11!

2 Likes