marcelfahle
Hey guys, I ran into a slight issue today:
I’m currently building a multi-tenant setup using foreign keys, similar to the docs.
The tenant key is enforced for every query on the repo level using prepare_query (as seen here), which means I have to provide either a tenant key or a skip parameter to my queries.
This doesn’t work, though, when doing validations with unsafe_validate_unique/4 (and maybe others) because it doesn’t let me add options to the query.
I removed the validation for now and will wire up my own check on uniqueness. Still, I was just curious how you guys would solve such problems, as I’m sure other functions also execute queries under the hood where I can’t provide my tenant Infos.
Thanks! ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
al2o3cr
I’m not sure how it would interact with the
prepare_queryplumbing, but making the validation match[:field_that_should_be_unique, :org_id](whereorg_idis the tenant FK) seems like it would get the right query.marcelfahle
Thanks, Matt! Yea, the plumbing is actually the issue. In general, the validation works, but the query doesn’t get executed because it needs the
org_idadded as an option to the query. The options I can provide tounsafe_validate_query/4are used by that function and not being passed down to the query - unless you do multi-tenancy with prefixes. And this is what I just ended up doing: switched the app from foreign key to prefix-based multi-tenancy.While the former appealed to me at first by being straightforward to implement, it needs little tweaks and changes all over the place, and sometimes I’d run into a wall, as the example above shows.
Thanks again!
f0rest8
I think, in theory, you have to pass your
:skip_person_idto the:repo_optsas per this notation:It would appear the

:repo_optsare not getting passed down to theprepare_query/3function. But, I don’t know.marcelfahle
Oh, interesting! As part of the changeset…
I might try this, but to be honest, that was the point when I switched to prefixes
Too many things that kept popping up.. But I still have the old branch and see if I can get it to work that way. Thank you!
andyjones11
Just for reference I ran into the same problem today and found that a fix for this should be coming in the next Ecto release.
unsafe_validate_unique/4has been updated to accept a keyword list ofrepo_opts.See the change here: ecto/lib/ecto/changeset.ex at 0b990278ca6b418c0137dd0bdf9f0c5003062629 · elixir-ecto/ecto · GitHub
marcelfahle
Oh that’s good news, Andy! Thanks for letting us know!
joges
I ran into the same problem and could fix it based on your post:
Thx andyjones11!