Zesky665

Zesky665

Hi everyone,

I’m in the process of writing a chat app where a user can be a member of many chat rooms and chat rooms can have many users. I’ve already generated a user schema within the context Account and a room schema within the context Server. And now I’m going to write a schema to connect these two. What I’m wondering is where to put this new schema? Should it be placed outside of the Contexts or should it have it’s own?

Showing Posts 1 to 8

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Another way is to have 2 User schemas, one in Account, one in Server.

Account User would be read/write, Server User would be read only, and used into link to Server context.

Zesky665

Zesky665 OP

Could you link to an example of something like this? I’m having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around it.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Curiously Yes I can…

I was doing something similar with 2 contexts, Accounting and Social.

This one allows to create, update User

defmodule Chat.Accounting.User do
  @moduledoc false
  
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset
  alias __MODULE__
  alias Chat.Accounting.Phone

  schema "users" do
    field :email, :string
    field :name, :string
    field :password, :string, virtual: true
    field :password_hash, :string
    
    has_one :phone, Phone, on_delete: :delete_all

    timestamps()
  end
  
  @required_fields ~w(name email)a
  @registration_fields ~w(password)a  
  
  @doc false
  
  # Because of Postgres constraints errors
  # You will receive only the first constraint error, not all of them!
  
  def changeset(%User{} = user, attrs \\ %{}) do
    user
    |> cast(attrs, @required_fields)
    |> validate_required(@required_fields)
    |> validate_length(:name, min: 1, max: 32)
    |> validate_format(:email, ~r/@/)
    |> unique_constraint(:name, message: "Name already taken")
    |> unique_constraint(:email, message: "Email already taken")
  end
  
  @doc false
  def registration_changeset(user, attrs \\ %{}) do
    user
    |> changeset(attrs)
    |> cast(attrs, @registration_fields)
    |> validate_required(@registration_fields)
    |> validate_length(:password, min: 6, max: 32)
    |> generate_encrypted_password()
  end

  # PRIVATE

  defp generate_encrypted_password(changeset) do
    case changeset do
      %Ecto.Changeset{valid?: true, changes: %{password: password}} ->
        put_change(changeset, :password_hash, Comeonin.Bcrypt.hashpwsalt(password))
      _ ->
        changeset
    end
  end
end

This one allows to manage User association, inside Social context.

defmodule Chat.Social.User do
  @moduledoc false
  
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset
  alias __MODULE__
  alias Chat.Social.{Group, Post, Comment}
  
  schema "users" do
    field :email, :string
    field :name, :string
    
    many_to_many :followeds, User, 
      join_through: "followings", 
      join_keys: [follower_id: :id, followed_id: :id], 
      on_delete: :delete_all,
      on_replace: :delete
    
    many_to_many :followers, User, 
      join_through: "followings", 
      join_keys: [followed_id: :id, follower_id: :id], 
      on_delete: :delete_all,
      on_replace: :delete
      
    many_to_many :groups, Group, 
      join_through: "subscriptions",
      on_delete: :delete_all,
      on_replace: :delete
    
    has_many :owned_groups, Group
    has_many :posts, Post
    has_many :comments, Comment
    
    timestamps()
  end
  
  def follow_changeset(%User{} = user, attrs \\ %{}) do
    user
    |> cast(attrs, [])
    |> put_assoc(:followeds, attrs[:followeds])
  end
  
  def group_changeset(%User{} = user, attrs \\ %{}) do
    user
    |> cast(attrs, [])
    |> put_assoc(:groups, attrs[:groups])
  end
end

As You can see they refer to the same table, but they both represent a User, inside their respective contexts.

Social User cannot be created, they don’t know what a password is, but they can join group, and follow other User as well.

Zesky665

Zesky665 OP

Thanks, this really helped me understand how this works :slight_smile:

hoantony

hoantony

Hi @kokolegorille, thank you for sharing, I’ve been applying this approach which is having multi schemas mapping to a same database table.

Things go well, however, when writing unit tests for the Context having the read-only schema, with Ecto.Repo, I don’t know how to insert data into the DB table since the schema doesn’t have the full of fields and doesn’t have all of the not-null constraints, unique constraints, foreign key constraints,… If we use Ecto.Repo.insert_all/3 , it’s kind of a lot of manual work, since the table may refer to many others.

To be clearer, for example in your code sample, let’s assume that in DB, table column users.password is not-null. So when writing unit tests for your Social context, how to insert mock data into users table with Chat.Social.User schema? Because if we use %Chat.Social.User{} then :password will be null.

Thank you.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Hello and welcome.

As Social.User cannot be created… I would create Accounting.User in the setup block of Social.User test to have some data before.

hoantony

hoantony

Thank you. That way is possible. But would it be considered as a across context dependency (even in unit test) since the unit test of Social text depends on User schema in Account context?

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Yes it is. But it’s hard to create data from this User read-only context.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews