unlogic

unlogic

I’m trying to add a sort feature to an API which allows the user to pass the field name to sort by. I figured I could use dynamics as per Dynamic queries — Ecto v3.14.0 but I run into an issue when adding the sort order specifier. this works fine:

dynamic([q], field(q, ^String.to_atom(sortby)))

this however gives an error

dynamic([q], desc: field(q, ^String.to_atom(sortby)))

** (Ecto.Query.CompileError) Tuples can only be used in comparisons with literal tuples of the same size

In order to get this working now I’ve used order_by instead of dynamic

order_by(query, [q], desc: field(q, ^String.to_atom(sortby)))

Which works, but I’d like to understand why the dynamic isn’t working for me, as it’s pretty much the same as in the documentation

Showing Posts 1 to 5

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

There’s a section on order_by in the docs for dynamic: Ecto.Query — Ecto v3.4.0

unlogic

unlogic OP

Thanks for the link, it explains using dynamics for the field in an order_by. The example I am referring to uses a dynamic as the orderby clause. I still don’t understand why the example from the docs (see link in original post)

dynamic([p], desc: p.published_at)

throws an error in my code. Removing the desc however works as expected.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

So the problem is that the keyword syntax is special to the order_by macro. dynamic allows you to capture sql (query…) expressions. desc: field is not a query expression on it’s own, though. The keyword syntax is just a convenience to use elixir syntax with order_by. If you need to put the direction in the dynamic use plain sql possibly with an fragment.

def dynamic_order_expr(field, :asc), 
  do: dynamic([q], fragment("? ASC", field(q, ^field)))

def dynamic_order_expr(field, :desc), 
  do: dynamic([q], fragment("? DESC", field(q, ^field)))
unlogic

unlogic OP

That makes sense. Thank you. Does that mean the section from the docs I linked is incorrect?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Oh, that’s interesting. Maybe this is actually supposed to work (which I wouldn’t have expected). Please open an issue on ectos github, so either docs or the bug can be fixed.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews