Oliver

Oliver

I have a macro that expands into a module definition. The use case is that we take a testcase defined in one elixir module (parent) and modify some parameters and generate a new module that calls parent where needed but as a new, separate testcase. (This works fine.)

Files then look like this:

require ParametrizedTestcase

ParametrizedTestcase.new(<keyword list>) # let's call this B

ParametrizedTestcase.new(<keyword list>) # let's call this C

So this would for example create new variation B and C of an original testcase A. Or C could even be a variation of B.

When trying to extend it I run into limits defined by when elixir expands macros vs when the modules are compiled.

It’s fine if C statically calls B in its implementation.

It’s fine if C checks in the macro itself if a function in a generated module is exported if and only if that module is not in the same compilation unit/file. (B must be moved.)

The check for a function being exported simply returns false if C tries, in the macro, to check if something is defined in B.

I assume this is because all macros in the compilation unit are expanded together before the modules are compiled.

It seems separating the calls into separate files would avoid this, but right now I have a lot of these testcases organized by files acting as categories, something my users expect. (The joys of legacy.)

My questions are:

  1. Is there a way to enforce compilation of what has been expanded so far before continuing? (Like: I need B to be compiled before C expands.)

OR

  1. Is there a way to prevent the user of the API to invoke the same macro twice in the same compilation unit to enforce splitting invocations over separate files?

The rationale for 2. would be that if I cannot make this work in one file, I want to prevent the possibility of generating erroneous definitions when users revert to adding multiple definitions in one file again. If the macro’s correctness depends on B being compiled before C is expanded, I want to guarantee there’s no two ways to approach this.

Thank you!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

The unit of compilation is files not modules afaik. There‘s no guarantee that there‘s modules in an elixir file, nor how many.

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

I have a macro that expands into a module definition.

Assuming it expands to defmodule, I believe Module.create/3 instead would do.

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

Sure. Launch a custom Mix.Task.Compiler and spawn a process in its run/1 callback implementation. Then trace def trace({remote, meta, YourUsedMod, :__using__, 1}, env) and keep track of what has been already done on that matter.

Oliver

Oliver OP

@mudasobwa This is indeed the solution I was seeking. Thank you very much!

I did some experiments with it and it does what I want.

I would have just never guessed that from the documentation.

While I suspected it actually did what I wanted because it returned bytecode, it actually doesn’t mention it.

Something along the lines of "It also instantly compiles and loads the module." would be a great addition there.

Definitely a really cool thing!

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

Cool. Then please don’t mind to open a PR to Elixir core adding this wording to documentation.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews