woylie

woylie

Flop.Phoenix implements the Phoenix.HTML.FormData protocol for its meta struct: flop_phoenix/lib/flop_phoenix/form_data.ex at main · woylie/flop_phoenix · GitHub

At some point, an offset option was added to allow users to build more complex form layouts. By setting the option, the :index, :id, and :name fields on the Phoenix.HTML.Form struct are set in to_form/4:

offset_string = Integer.to_string(offset)

%Phoenix.HTML.Form{
  index: offset,
  id: id <> "_" <> offset_string,
  name: name <> "[" <> offset_string <> "]",
  # ...
}

This worked fine with the old inputs_for function that was moved to PhoenixHTMLHelpers. However, this stopped working with Phoenix.Component.inputs_for/1. I can still pass the offset option (or any other option) to make it available in the form data implementation:

~H"""
<.inputs_for
  :let={ff}
  field={@form[:filters]}
  options={[fields: @fields, offset: 5]}
>
  <%!-- ... %>
</.inputs_for>
"""

And, given the offset `5`, the protocol implementation produces the correct values in the `Form` struct:

```elixir
%Phoenix.HTML.Form{
  id: "flop_filters_5",
  name: "filters[5]",
  index: 5,
  # ...
}

However, Phoenix.Component.inputs_for/1 appears to ignore both the index and the id that the protocol implementation produces. The form structs passed to the inner block always start with index 0 and an according ID (although the name is derived correctly from the form struct returned by the protocol implementation):

%Phoenix.HTML.Form{
  id: "flop_filters_0",
  name: "filters[5]",
  hidden: [{"_persistent_id", "0"}, {:field, :email}],
  params: %{"_persistent_id" => "0"},
  index: 0
}

I noticed that I can initialize the params on the form struct produced by my protocol implementation with a _persistent_id to achieve the previous behavior:

%Phoenix.HTML.Form{
  index: index,
  id: id <> "_" <> index_string,
  name: name <> "[" <> index_string <> "]",
  params: %{"_persistent_id" => index}
  # ...
}

This leads to the correct index being used by inputs_for, but this relies on an internal implementation detail and probably isn’t meant to be used this way.

I don’t know why it was implemented this way, and whether this was an oversight, or what the purpose of the _persistent_id is, or whether I’m doing something wrong. Can someone more familiar with LiveView give me some insights?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews