KekKekington

KekKekington

Hello everyone! I’ve started working on a new project for a client where I have complete freedom as to how to design the system and which technologies to use. Naturally, I selected Elixir/Phoenix for the backend but I’ve been struggling trying to translate the requirements into a functioning system.

The gist of it is that a client may pay for a service or pay for a subscription (this is an in-person service that’s being provided). Essentially, I need to save each user’s preferences and reschedule appointments based on that, each month (maybe?) but every solution I can think of seems to come with its own set of drawbacks (as it often does…).

Each user can pay in advance up to 3 months, and select which days of the week/month they want to schedule the service in (e.g. 3 days a week, 2 days a month, etc.). The way I’ve been thinking about solving this is to have a recurring task each month which does the following:
Iterate over the active users |> Check if they need to be assigned that month (because not everyone will register the same month and subscription lengths vary) |> Create appointments based on their preferences.

Planning on running this a few days before the end of the month at very early hours. This would allow for users to ensure they’ll be getting service at least during the month that they’ve paid for in advance, while letting non-subscription users to schedule an appointment.

I don’t think this is a trivial issue, working with dates and recurring tasks, but I’m also thinking that it shouldn’t be that hard. I’m worried that I’m either reinventing the wheel or overthinking/engineering this, so I’m looking for any advice, libraries or design patterns that I should be looking at.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews