technusm1

technusm1

Hi everyone, posting for the first time here, so please bear with me.

I came across a HN thread that mentioned about a code-golf problem for high-throughput FizzBuzz. Link here: fastest code - High throughput Fizz Buzz - Code Golf Stack Exchange.

The naive single-threaded implementation in C gets about 70 MiB/s throughput on my Mac machine.
Here’s the C program for reference:

#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
    for (int i = 1; i < 1000000000; i++) {
        if ((i % 3 == 0) && (i % 5 == 0)) {
            printf("FizzBuzz\n");
        } else if (i % 3 == 0) {
            printf("Fizz\n");
        } else if (i % 5 == 0) {
            printf("Buzz\n");
        } else {
            printf("%d\n", i);
        }
    }
}

It is my understanding from learning Elixir so far that if your work is CPU intensive, pure Elixir is not a good choice. But since this is a simple problem (and mostly IO oriented as I’ve come to believe), I thought of testing the waters a bit. I came up with the approach of dividing the range 1..1000000000 into #{System.schedulers_online} chunks and using Task.async_stream to process each chunk in its own task.

I made the following Fizzbuzz module:

defmodule Fizzbuzz do
  def fizzbuzz_with_io(enumerable) do
    # I am printing here, because its my understanding it takes time to move data from one process to another.
    Stream.map(enumerable, &reply/1)
    |> Stream.chunk_every(5000)
    |> Enum.into(IO.stream())
  end

  def fizzbuzz_no_io(enumerable) do
    Stream.map(enumerable, &reply/1) |> Stream.run()
  end

  def reply(n) do
    case {rem(n, 3), rem(n, 5)} do
      {0, 0} -> "FizzBuzz\n"
      {0, _} -> "Fizz\n"
      {_, 0} -> "Buzz\n"
      {_, _} -> "#{n}\n"
    end
  end
end

My main CLI driver code (I acknowledge that the below code is not 100% correct and there are some numbers I might be missing in my quest to divide work, but it is OK enough to roughly illustrate the problem):

defmodule Fizzbuzz.Cli do
  def main([lower, upper]) do
    {lower, upper} = {String.to_integer(lower), String.to_integer(upper)}
    chunk_size = div(upper - lower, System.schedulers_online)
    input_enumerable = get_input_ranges(lower, upper, chunk_size)
    IO.inspect(input_enumerable)
    input_enumerable
    |> Task.async_stream(Fizzbuzz, :fizzbuzz, [], timeout: :infinity, max_concurrency: 64)
    |> Stream.run()
  end

  def main(_), do: IO.puts("Usage: fizzbuzz 1 10000")

  defp get_input_ranges(lower, upper, chunk_size) do
    if chunk_size >= 10 do
      if lower >= upper, do: [], else: [lower..min(lower+chunk_size, upper) | get_input_ranges(min(lower+chunk_size, upper) + 1, upper, chunk_size)]
    else
      [lower..upper]
    end
  end
end

Compiling above with MIX_ENV=prod mix escript.build, I have observed the following:

  • If I merely want to do the computation (with no IO at all using :fizzbuzz_no_io), the program finishes in 31 seconds on my machine. Its much faster than 3 minutes and 5 seconds of single threaded execution in Elixir, but its still slower than single-threaded C’s 7 seconds.
  • If I use :fizzbuzz_with_io, the program running time exceeds more than 5 minutes and I get a throughput of 2.5-2.7 MiB/s. Here, C gives a throughput of 70 MiB/s on my machine and a total running time of 1 minute and 43 seconds.

UPDATE-1:

  • I have updated the driver code to handle all cases properly.
  • I have updated fizzbuzz_with_io function to use Stream chunking, which has improved throughput to around 70 MiB/s on my system. That’s 35x improvement in performance. It was just a hunch that drove me to use this, since I thought adding chunking might add small chunks to IO.stream incrementally, rather than overloading it with everything at once. Could somebody please explain it better?
  • There are throughputs that still go in order of _ GiB/s. So, is there any further scope for improvement?

So, here’s my question: How do I improve the throughput of the Elixir version of Fizzbuzz program?
Thanks :smiley:

#io

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Should this use ordered: true on Task.async_stream? I’d expect the result should still be printed in order and not just randomly.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Two related gotchas with IO.stream:

  • it’s represented by a “file server” process, so “chunking” into bigger pieces helps by reducing the number of messages sent to that process (chunks vs individual lines)

  • it can still only print one message at a time, no matter how many workers are sending messages

You could likely boost performance by building bigger iolists and sending those to IO in one go.

technusm1

technusm1 OP

@LostKobrakai ordered: true is the default for Task.async_stream. From the documentation:

:ordered - whether the results should be returned in the same order as the input stream. When the output is ordered, Elixir may need to buffer results to emit them in the original order. Setting this option to false disables the need to buffer at the cost of removing ordering. This is also useful when you’re using the tasks only for the side effects. Note that regardless of what :ordered is set to, the tasks will process asynchronously. (NOTE: This is what I’m doing in the original fizzbuzz_with_io approach, that’s why the results are unordered) If you need to process elements in order, consider using Enum.map/2 or Enum.each/2 instead. Defaults to true.

If I try to print the results in order, I would have to go with fizzbuzz_no_io approach and turn my driver module into the following:

defmodule Fizzbuzz.Cli do
  def main([lower, upper]) do
    {lower, upper} = {String.to_integer(lower), String.to_integer(upper)}
    chunk_size = min(div(upper - lower, System.schedulers_online), 5000)
    input_enumerable = get_input_ranges(lower, upper, chunk_size)
    IO.inspect(input_enumerable)
    stream = Task.async_stream(input_enumerable, fn range -> Fizzbuzz.fizzbuzz_no_io(range) end, timeout: :infinity)
    Enum.reduce(stream, :ok, fn {:ok, res}, _acc -> res |> Enum.into(IO.stream) end)
  end

  def main(_), do: IO.puts("Usage: fizzbuzz 1 10000")

  defp get_input_ranges(lower, upper, chunk_size) do
    if chunk_size >= 10 do
      if lower >= upper, do: [], else: [lower..min(lower+chunk_size, upper) | get_input_ranges(min(lower+chunk_size, upper) + 1, upper, chunk_size)]
    else
      [lower..upper]
    end
  end
end

Fizzbuzz code:

def fizzbuzz_no_io(enumerable) do
  Stream.map(enumerable, &reply/1)
  |> Stream.chunk_every(6000)
  |> Enum.to_list()
end

Which brings me to my next order of business…

Doing so prints the results in order, but drops the IO speed. @al2o3cr 's answer is a great start for me, but I feel I’ll need to dive deeper into IO internals to see if there’s any scope for improvement.

I’ve been playing with chunk_size in my driver program and the chunk_every values in fizzbuzz_no_io which yield different speed results for different values. Currently, the maximum IO throughput I’ve managed so far is about 40 MiB/s on my machine, purely with hit-and-trial, using a chunk_size of 5000 and chunk_every of 6000.

One last thing that I still don’t understand is that, which seems weird if I think about it - I’m dividing the problem into chunks of size 5000 each, processing each chunk in a Task which will return me a list of size 5000. Why then does removing chunk_every line in this case drop my IO speed to 2.5-3 MiB/s, when my original input coming from Stream.map is of size 5000?

To put it simply, my remaining question is this: Why does chunking a stream of size 5000 into a chunk of size 6000 speed up the IO drastically from 2.5-3 MiB/s to 40 MiB/s?

Thank you for the insightful answers once again. Apologies if I missed something.

hauleth

hauleth

I am on my phone, but my blind bet is IOlist concatenation. For smaller lists these are kept as is while for larger ones these are concatenated into large binary blob that is then sent to the OS.

technusm1

technusm1 OP

Thanks to some learning on this thread and some findings regarding cost of passing data between different processes, I’ve made some further improvements:

  • Using GenServer instead of Task - divide the input into chunks and spin up a GenServer for every chunk, which computes the results for that chunk in parallel.
  • Printing the results by sending a print call to every GenServer in order. No need to move data back to main process unlike a Task, which returns the output to the main process, which is then again passed to IO.puts. Instead we directly call IO.puts from our GenServer, which saves 1 data move and I think that’s the reason of the speedup.

Fizzbuzz.Worker module:

defmodule Fizzbuzz.Worker do
  use GenServer

  def init([range]) do
    send(self(), {:calculate, range})
    {:ok, []}
  end

  def handle_info({:calculate, range}, _state) do
    res = Fizzbuzz.fizzbuzz_no_io(range)
    {:noreply, res}
  end

  def handle_call(:print, _from, results) do
    IO.binwrite(results)
    {:reply, :ok, []}
  end
end

Main module:

defmodule Fizzbuzz.Cli do
  def main([lower, upper]) do
    {lower, upper} = {String.to_integer(lower), String.to_integer(upper)}
    chunk_size = min(div(upper - lower, System.schedulers_online), 6000)
    input_enumerable = get_input_ranges(lower, upper, chunk_size)
    IO.inspect(input_enumerable)
    Task.async_stream(input_enumerable, fn input -> elem(GenServer.start_link(Fizzbuzz.Worker, [input]), 1) end, timeout: :infinity)
    |> Stream.map(fn {:ok, res} -> res end)
    |> Stream.each(
      fn pid ->
        GenServer.call(pid, :print)
        Process.exit(pid, :kill)
      end)
    |> Stream.run()
  end

  def main(_), do: IO.puts("Usage: fizzbuzz 1 10000")

  defp get_input_ranges(lower, upper, chunk_size) do
    if chunk_size >= 10 do
      if lower >= upper, do: [], else: [lower..min(lower+chunk_size, upper) | get_input_ranges(min(lower+chunk_size, upper) + 1, upper, chunk_size)]
    else
      [lower..upper]
    end
  end
end

As a result, I’m getting speeds of 80+ MiB/s on my system, and everything is getting printed in order. It’s not in the order of GiB/s, but I’m happy with my gains for now.

Thanks for all the help once again. Any suggestions/improvements to the above code are welcome.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

You can likely optimize it further if :print is not a call but a cast (does not require a response).

technusm1

technusm1 OP

@dimitarvp I tried that, but I face two problems: 1) I have to wait for all GenServers to finish (I don’t know how to do that properly, so I just added a Process.sleep at end of my driver module for the timebeing). 2) it breaks the order in which numbers are printed.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Oh I must have missed that: is the right printing order a hard requirement?

technusm1

technusm1 OP

No worries @dimitarvp, I missed that the first time too. But the problem does mention that the output should be a valid Fizzbuzz output, so I believe the answer is yes. Otherwise I’d happily go all out with the handle_cast approach, since I’m easily getting 110 MiB/s throughput with that. :sweat_smile:

technusm1

technusm1 OP

I’m happy to report that I’m now able to achieve 150+ MiB/s throughput on my system by making a small change to Fizzbuzz.reply function:

defp reply(n) do
  case {rem(n, 3), rem(n, 5)} do
    {0, 0} -> "FizzBuzz\n"
    {0, _} -> "Fizz\n"
    {_, 0} -> "Buzz\n"
    {_, _} -> [Integer.to_string(n), "\n"]
  end
end

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews