debajit
I have a module with a function that applies a transformation on a string e.g. (this is for an Advent of Code problem, where I need to do this often)
defmodule M do
def f(some_string) do
# apply transformation on some_string
end
end
I need to run M.f with a string passed from the command line. What is the quickest way to do this?
Please note that
- This script will never be deployed to production
- I just need an easy way to call an Elixir function with some arguments from the command line
Option 1: escript
This is clean but requires some extra code (which I’d like to avoid if possible):
# mix.exs
defmodule M.Mixfile do
def project do
[
...,
escript: escript(),
default_task: "escript.build",
]
end
defp escript do
[main_module: M.CLI]
end
end
# in m.ex
defmodule M do
...
end
defmodule M.CLI do
def main(args) do
string = hd(args)
IO.puts M.f(string)
end
end
Option 2: mix run
This requires a little extra typing — I would like to move the IO.puts inside the code if possible. This approach avoids having to update mix.exs which is nice.
From the shell
% mix run -e 'IO.puts M.f "some_user_string"'
Is there an easier / quicker way to do this?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
Option 3: an
*.exsJust write an
*.exs.Then run it with
elixir foo.exs print medebajit
Perfect
Just what I needed. Thank you!
debajit
Just for reference, I ended up using a slightly tweaked syntax:
This allows pattern matching for the command line args, and it fails when an incorrect number of args is specified.