VictorGaiva

VictorGaiva

Overview

An Elixir Client for the RabbitMQ Streams Protocol.

https://github.com/VictorGaiva/rabbitmq-stream

Introduced in RabbiMQ 3.9, Streams is an alternative to Queues differing mainly by implementing “non-destructive consumer semantics”.

While this feature is avaiable when using the existing Queues, it shines when used with its dedicated protocol, allowing messages to be consumed extremelly fast.

This library implements a client for said protocol, managing the connection to the server and providing an API for producing, consuming and running available commands.

Installation

The package can be installed by adding rabbitmq_stream to your list of dependencies in mix.exs:

def deps do
  [
    {:rabbitmq_stream, "~> 0.4.0"},
    # ...
  ]
end

Consuming

First you define a connection

defmodule MyApp.MyConnection do
  use RabbitMQStream.Connection
end

You then can declare a consumer module by using the RabbitMQStream.Consumer:

defmodule MyApp.MyConsumer do
  use RabbitMQStream.Consumer,
    connection: MyApp.MyConnection,
    stream_name: "my_stream",
    initial_offset: :first

  @impl true
  def handle_message(_message) do
    :ok
  end
end

Producing

You can define a Producer with:

defmodule MyApp.MyProducer do
  use RabbitMQStream.Producer,
    stream_name: "stream-01",
    connection: MyApp.MyConnection
end

Then you can publish messages to the stream:

MyApp.MyProducer.publish("Hello World")

SuperStreams

A super stream is a logical stream made of individual, regular streams.

You can declare SuperStreams with:

:ok = MyApp.MyConnection.create_super_stream("my_super_stream", "route-A": ["stream-01", "stream-02"], "route-B": ["stream-03"])

And you can consume from it with:

defmodule MyApp.MySuperConsumer do
  use RabbitMQStream.SuperConsumer,
    initial_offset: :next,
    super_stream: "my_super_stream"

  @impl true
  def handle_message(_message) do
    # ...
    :ok
  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 1

VictorGaiva

VictorGaiva OP

Project Status

When I started this project, I antecipated that I had a use case for the project I currently help maintaing at my place of work. But after getting it to work, the scope of problems RabbitMQ-Streams helps me solve is smaller than I expected, and the current state of this library covers most of my current use cases.

Since then, I haven’t been having a lot of motivation to keep working on it, and adding the most recent features, besides just for the fun of working on an interesting project. That is the reason the project has not been to much active recently. And since I don’t have a use case, it has been hard to make some design decisions that I don’t personally have a use case for.

I decided to give this update as a call for feedback. If you are already using, please give some feedback on issues you maybe be encountering. And if you would like to but have been blocked by some missing features, feel free to tell me more about them. I like to solve problems, and these feedbacks would help motivate me to work more on this lib for the fun of it.

Feel free to @ or DM me on BlueSky @gaiva.bsky.social

https://github.com/VictorGaiva/rabbitmq-stream/issues/19

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews