smedegaard

smedegaard

I’ve got an app that connects to a number of tcp ports using :ranch_tcp.connect/3

I connect in passive mode and then switch to active once I get {:ok, socket}.
When I get the socket I execute a Telemetry message:

 case :ranch_tcp.connect(...) do
      {:ok, socket} ->
          ...
          :telemetry.execute(
            [:some, :key],
            %{active: 1}
          )
          ...

I call :telemetry.execute in each of handle_info({:tcp_closed, _socket}, _state ) and handle_info({:tcp_error, _socket}, _state ) where I set the active key to 0.

One of the systems I connect to is a back-up system that is only used if we need a fail-over for some reason. Thus there is only very infrequently traffic from that ip/port. When such a fail-over occurred I did not get any messages form the back-up connection.
Telemetry had not executed an active: 0 message.

So my question is:
Is there a way that a tcp connection in Ranch/gen_tcp can become inactive without being caught by {tcp_error, _} or {tcp_closed, _}?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

voltone

voltone

Just a wild stab in the dark, but could it be there is some stateful network element (NAT, firewall) on the TCP path, which dropped the connection for inactivity? In that case the connection may still have been in active mode in the BEAM, but the packets simply never made it through the network. I’ve been bitten by this.

If you can’t be sure the network path fully transparent, keeping idle TCP connections open may require some keep alive, either at the kernel level (see keepalive in gen_tcp options) or the application level (periodically send a newline, or something else that does not cause the other end to choke).

smedegaard

smedegaard OP

Thanks, I’ve been thinking along those lines.

I’ve added keepalive: true to the connection config. Let’s hope that does the trick

smedegaard

smedegaard OP

For posterity:

I searched the logs and indeed found some suspicious TCP FIN messages. Hopefully someone in the future will see this and save the selves some head scratching because of silent tcp sockets.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews